Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Camlocs too long

Default Camlocs too long

Are others seeing the camlocs as being too long on the turtledeck? Model SS.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Camlocs too long

I added washers between the mating half of the fasteners and the fuselage tabs.

I found this when building my two Model IVs. They are a bit pricey, but for the sake of neatness, I always purchased the longer or shorter versions for the proper fit. I have found it almost impossible to measure and order, but easier to trial fit, then get the size that adjusts for the correct fit. I guess I have 5 or 10 in a drawer in my spare parts bin.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Yes I also had to buy many different lengths to get a proper looking fit on the cowlings and turtle deck. If I had it to do over again I think I would just bite the bullet and buy the self adjusting type (quite a bit more expensive) for all locations. By the time I bought all the different lengths of the cheaper ones, I think the cost probably came close to just buying the self adjusters.

On the turtle deck, I found some thick plastic washers at Ace Hardware and glued (Hysol) them to the fuselage tabs for spacers. The turtledeck Lexan doesn't really lay right against the tabs without spacers anyway.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Ken, I just finished this job too. I found that the supplied camlocks worked well if I added a thin sealing adhesive strip along the rear edge and a thicker strip along the sides up to the triangle windows. Not only did this result in even tension on the camlocks but the black sealing strips look good under the turtle deck edges too.

I guess by the previous posts that the turtleneck fitting is a custom one for each turtleneck on each Kitfox frame.

cheers

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Try Skybolt Aeromotive and Aerospace in Fla. for self adjusting camlock fasteners. I also used a strip of self adhesive weather stripping along the edges of the turtle deck to seal out weather and prevent rubbing against the fabric.

Dick B

Thanks, good suggestions.

I saw a factory built SS7 which had adjustable stainless cam locks on the turtle deck. They are the same type I received with the firewall forward kit
    for use on the upper engine cowling. I purchased some extra from the factory. They are also shown in the aircraft spruce catalog, however Kit fox price was better.

I have one of the factory built SLSAs they use the self adhesive foam weather strip tape on the bottom side of the plex turtle deck. It definately protects the wear on the Fabrick & the paint. I have a small piece I am needing to replace, and it has started scratching the paint. Thanks for reminding me to add some before I'm needing to repair the Fabrick. I've got to go look at it today, so it doesn't damage it Monday when I plan on doing some flying.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas