Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Source for 582 Starter

Default Source for 582 Starter

MY starter just gave out on my 582. Only has about 5 starts on it (though it has been sitting around for about 20 years). Dead short/internal. This is the starter which runs off the mag side (vice gearbox side)

Is there a good source for new starters out there? The usual Rotax houses only seem to offer a full on kit. Just need the actual starter.

What a bear, as it looks like I need to pull the engine to change this out. Kitfox III.

Default Re: Source for 582 Starter

Was able to find a starter only option with Lockwood.

Looks like I have an engine pull unless anyone knows of a way to change the starter otherwise? Model III with starter into the firewall.

I think you need to pull the engine to get the starter out. Be advised that when you put the new starter back in that there is a certain way to attach it. You DON'T tighten it up till it's tight. That will cause the ears it's attached to to break in a short time. If my memory is right you need a .040" space between the starter and the starter mounting plate. All those O rings on the mounting bolts are there so the starter can be able to move a bit. Check that dimention in a manual. I just went looking for my manuals, but they are out in the garage I think. This is on a 582 Rotax isn't it???? Jim Chuk

The end of the box that houses the starter can be removed and the starter accessed from the cabin.
    Make sure it is well sealed up again after!
    Mine was removable from the firewall,but was such a mission to refit and seal,an engine out may have been easier
    I should have modified the end cap when it was off
    Perhaps next time!

Hi!

For two weeks ago, I thought my starter gave out too, but only the cable lug (+) was broken. I suspect, your starter won't be broken after only 5 starts. I recommend to check the electrical stuff (cable).
    I was able to check the starter from footwell, I post a few pics in the (my) evening :-)

Olaf

A few pics....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Your mounting system of clamps on the cover is an idea I will borrow

Believe me, I'm very happy that my preowner choose this mounting system

Olaf

Love it. May go that route as well if there is ever a round 2. My original starter actually froze the bearings.