Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: rotax 80hp vs 100hp auto conversion

Default Re: rotax 80hp vs 100hp auto conversion

I'm new to the forum and I'm not building yet. Still deciding on the type of airframe I want to pursue, but the Kitfox S7 looks like a fun, capable, and comfortable XC aircraft.

I was wondering if there are any Corvair powered Kitfox's out there flying and what type of performance numbers people expect to get from them? Specifically the 3,100cc (100-120hp) corvair engines. The manufacturer cruise speeds say 120mph, but from what I've researched it sounds like that 120 cruise is difficult to attain. Obviously if i wanted to go faster I'd get something like an RV, but I'm all about enjoying what's between points A and B.

Any information would be greatly appreciated

-Mark M.
    Pella, IA

Hi Mark,

Since you are new to the forum, might be a neat idea to get aquainted with the list search function. a simple search on "Corvair" should turn up all discussions archived on this subject.

FWIW, I am located in my hangar with with my 100 HP Rotax powered S7; surrounded by builders on either side installing Corvairs on their Sonex and & Zenith.

I don't want to get into suggesting what a builder should decide since as experimenters, we are collectively both traditional and non traditional.

Maybe I can quiz you sometime off line on solving my Firefox issues running on Linux???
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I was dead set on going with a ULS engine. I thought it through and realized that nothing swings a big prop like a rotax. The gear drive is a plus. I went for the rotax. Look at barnstormers at resale too. You lose all savings when you resell so I don't see the gain by veering away from rotax.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMS View Post
    I was wondering if there are any Corvair powered Kitfox's out there flying and what type of performance numbers people expect to get from them? Specifically the 3,100cc (100-120hp) corvair engines. The manufacturer cruise speeds say 120mph, but from what I've researched it sounds like that 120 cruise is difficult to attain. Obviously if i wanted to go faster I'd get something like an RV, but I'm all about enjoying what's between points A and B.
    This topic has been hashed over many, many times. In a nutshell, if you are a true experimenter and enjoy tinkering with things, a Corvair or other auto conversion is an inexpensive option.

If you want to get in the plane and go, with consistent reliability and performance, an aircraft engine is what you should have. Lycoming, Continental or Rotax are all great options in the 7-SS.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos