Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 582 smoother idle!?

Default Re: 582 smoother idle!?

Hi Dusty,

sometimes I reach the 1200F during travel-configuratiuon with a little descent, hence without propload. In this situation I wish to rich my mixture. I think about to set my needle one notch higher during winter, currently it's set in third Position, second from top.

Olaf

Sometimes richer is safer then lean back as needed.
    11G2 needles will give a Hot spot around 5500rpm made worse by a light load or driven prop.
    11K2 (503 dual carb?)helps minimise this

You don't think, to set needle one notch higher helps?

Definitely ,your midrange will be better.

I'm bewildered, my needle was set in the second notch, third from top .
    Now I set it in first Position (needle completly high) and the EGT is 1050-1100 F during travel, without propload max. 1150F.
    At 5500 rpm it burns 15-16L/hr (EGT 1100), above it rises significantly!!!

Before, I had 5900 rpm 15-16L/hr (EGT 1150) and accordingly more Speed. Without propload I gets 1200F EGT.

Airtemp 12 Grad / 53 F, I'm undecided whether I should use this setting during winter. Last winter I was flown with first configuration (second notch/third from top)

Olaf

If I understand correctly,you have raised your needle one notch?
    This hold give a egt at cruise of 50F lower which it sounds like it has
    Coming into winter this would be a good idea,I am unable to explain why last winter the second notch was ok,have any other changes been made?
    Needles wear at 200ish hours,but this will a slightly richer mixture!
    Has your prop pitch been changed? Check this as some props can walk
    I hope this is of some help,and I have the right end of the stick!
    (Sorry rushing to get to work site)
    A hacman will make life easier

Dusty may have hit on something, the GSC prop. I may have missed something but have you checked the pitch? One of my flyin buddies had a Kolb with a 582 and a GSC prop. He had a problem similar to yours. The problem turned out to be the prop. One blade had changed pitch. He corrected the pitch but it wouldn't stay put. He fixed it by milling a few thousands off the face of the hub, something that's not recommended by GSC. We figured the wooden blades would expand and contract with the weather. The GSC has a pretty short TBO. That could be the reason. Hope you figure it out soon. James Thomas

If I understand correctly,you have raised your needle one notch?
    Yes I have, before second notch and now first notch.
    I am unable to explain why last winter the second notch was ok,have any other changes been made?
    No, last winter I checked my temp every minute and fly higher for lower egt, I try to avoid lower altitude and the midrange between 5300-5800 rpm. This year I would like to fly without this limitations and set the needle one notch higher but the consumption is a lot more .
    My sparks-colour was always good (see other thread), may be my egt measurement shows more than in fact.
    Which notch do you use during winter, did you have a change from summer to winter?
    We figured the wooden blades would expand and contract with the weather. The GSC has a pretty short TBO
    Thanks, yes may be. I checked the pitch periodically. My Prop has only 100 hrs and was bought 2013.

Olaf

Hi Olaf
    My setting may not be much help as I am slightly over pitched and the hacman by nature will give a slightly lean from standard setting
    My engine log reads as165 jets,2.72needle jet,11k2 needles at 2nd notch from the top.
    I don't need to change summer/winter jetting but inflight adjustment is often needed.
    Spring weather here!
    1500ft -6c egt 1150-1200f , two weeks later same height 18c 1000egt! and needed nearly a half turn on the mixture

Hi Dusty,

which pitch do you use?
    My GSC and C-Box I have 18 degree at 75%, measure with GSC-Tool and checked with measureapp.
    We have the same jets, needle not sure, it's bewildered that you have 1000 egt at 18c at round about 1500ft with second notch from top.
    At the same altitude with third notch from top I have 1150 egt.
    I check my needle at the weekend....

Olaf