Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Pitot probe

Default Pitot probe

Hello.....it has been a year and a half since my last post, but the ss is looking like an airplane now. I got the plane from a friend that bought it in 2007 and paid kitfox to build it but he got stuck, and, in mid 2013 I continued the proyect, it came to Mexico covered with the first coat of polybrush only, my friend told me that he was planning to install a Dynon system and a rotax 912, so, that's what I got. The situation here is, the plane came with the pitot tube installation just like the manual says using the one that the kit has with a single line, the Dynon uses a pitot probe w/aoa, so what can I do to solve this problem without making a big mess on the covering?, wings are painted already.
    Leonardo

Default Re: Pitot probe

Is there an access (inspection) port near the pitot? If so you can run another line out to the end of the wing and back though the spar, no fuss no mess. Or is this more about mounting the mast for the Dynon AOA pitot?
    A pic of your current set up would help.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Thanks for reply, yes there is an inspection hole near, I will take a pic and post it, don't know yet if the actual mounting will be big enough for the Dynon.
    Leonardo.

I agree with Dorsal on how to run the second line. That should be the easy part. However, the Dynon style mast require a much larger mounting plate; the little triangular plywood plate that came with the kit is not big enough. The only way I know to get a bigger plate mounted is to cut out one bay of fabric, mount the plate, then patch in a new piece of fabric. If carefully done, it will not show too much.

A better (easier) solution might be to call Dynon and see if the AFS (which they now own) AOA system would work with the Dynon panel. If so, their system uses two easily mounted ports, one on top and another on bottom of the wing out near the tip. These could be easily installed by removing the wingtip only.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I have just completed fabricating and installing an LRI angle of attack probe. Mine is mounted with a single 3/16" bolt through the wing rib web close to where the pitot mounts. I glued a 1/2" block on the outboard side of the rib and drilled a single 3/16" hole. It was a little bit of a wrestling match to work through the pitot inspection hole, but doable. I then cut a hole, about 3" in diameter in the wing tip, in line with the rear spar. I had a roll of 1/4" aluminum tubing which I used as a fish tape to run the line from the probe to the access hole in the tip. I fished the 1/4" tubing through the spar from the root end out to the access hole and pulled the tubing through. I an in the process of trying to determine where and how to mount the meter now, it's gigantic!

What kind of indicator does yours use?

Good luck,
    Chuck Gruby
    Petal, Kit Fox III Flying

I'm by no means an expert..
    If you now require a larger mounting plate.. does this introduce the problem of not being able to get the plate through the inspection port?
    If so.. could one make one from ply or similar cut into managable pieces then once through the inspection port glue it together to make the plate? (kind of like those guys who build model ships in bottles )
    You'd then have to find a way of attaching it to the wing etc.. keyhole surgery?

Can't the Dynon function with only the pitot connection, without the AOA?
    Doug
    Super Sport
    912ULS
    Constant Speed IVOProp

Yes it can but the AOA is kinda cool
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I definitely agree; I have it on my plane. It just sounded like Leonardo thought the AOA piece was essential instead of optional.
    Doug
    Super Sport
    912ULS
    Constant Speed IVOProp

Thanks for all the input on this subject. I wish my knowledge was greater but is not. Thought the AOA was essential because the SV-ADAHRS-200 has 3 in ports, static, pitot and aoa,. After scratching my head for a while, I probably will do as jiott says, cut a little hole to work on the mounting plate, run the second line, patch and paint. But first, get all the supplies needed.