Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cost of Five-Year Rubber Replacement

Default Re: Cost of Five-Year Rubber Replacement

Then and than are two different words and can not be substituted.
    Flying a series 4 speedster
    Rotax 912uls whirlwind 75”

The Rotax splitter fuel hose is something like $400. I replaced all of my oil lines, fuel lines, and water lines, some are NAPA, the water lines going into the top of the heads, and going out the bottom of the heads I got from Lockwood. I added some fire sleave , an I doubt I spent $600 on the hoses. I sent my carbs to Lockwood to get rebuilt $400 for both. so I have right at $1000 in to the 5 year rubber change. I'm doing my own work on my SLSA, about 8 hours labor. If I charged $100 per hour the total bill would be about $1800. I am a LSRM.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

That's good information Paul. Thank you.

-Will

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Hi,
    There are a few Rotax part suppliers that help with parts or complete 5 yr rubber replacement kits. You could try LEAF one of this sites sponsors at the left. CPS has a decent breakdown of items and cost, i have personally not got these parts just attaching as an example http://www.cps-parts.com/catalog/rtx...yearrubber.php . I believe in replacing parts with quality parts or not changing them at all, if I remember my cost of all hose and rubber parts was around $1000 , most were from rotax , others were the highest quality auto I could find.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Kevin and Paul,
    Great information, but the aircraft that was needing the information is a 96 vintage. so most of this information for slsa aircraft does not apply. He has an experimental. So he can use 1/2 jiffy hose 300psi hose for the oil lines. Those have worked very well for me for over 1500 hrs over the years. The fuel system will not have the fuel splitter or anything like that, just hoses from the fuel pump and split off to each carb. There is no firesleeve, no fuel return hose. Now he can put these things on if he chooses, but they're not there right now. On the model 4 that one preformed hose off of no.3 may not be there, reason, the manifolds are reversed for room for the oil tank. At any rate all the information is great and worth looking at. I've thought of replacing my pump with the newer one, not that big a deal. Just the cost at this point. Not only that but the thing has been through some changes and I wanted to make sure they had their stuff together if you know what I mean.
    Last edited by Slyfox; 07-30-2015 at 09:22 AM.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Mine is an experimental kitfox.

I am not a trained A&P ( AME in Canada) but can do most of the work on my aircraft. There are many choices when faced with maintenance decisions on on experimental aircraft. I lean towards what is required for the SLSA standard or even certified . Thats a choice a person has to make. Will the engine run with the least expensive parts , most likely Yes . It boils down to what makes you comfortable and warm and fuzzy flying around .
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Thanks for all your comments.

So I think I have a handle on parts prices for the 5-year rubber replacement. Seems to be about $1000 or less for parts plus whatever labor I need to pay for that I can't (or don't want to) do myself.

Next issue: The engine is 19 years old and has never been overhauled. It has about 800 hours on it and is one of the serial numbers with an original TBO of 600 hours. I don't know if the SB's have been done to extend it to 1200 hours. Regardless, it's still 19 years old.

So here's the big question: If I buy the airplane and find out I'm the lucky guy who gets to overhaul the engine, is the price today reflective of an airplane with a run-out engine?

It's on Barnstormers now - N96BE. Model IV-1200. Asking price: $29,000. We made a deal at $26,000, pending inspection. I'm supposed to go look at it Monday and if it checks out I'm going to fly it home.

Is $26,000 a smoking hot deal, a crappy deal, or a fair price based on the condition of the airplane? I can't tell because I don't have enough data or experience in the market. Perhaps some of you could shed some light?

Thanks,

Will

If you guys looking for a new fuel pump will check Ebay, Type in

Opel-GT1900-GT-1900-Rekord-C-D-Kadett-1900-Blitz-New-Fuel-Pump-FP14271

This is what I'm running now.
    I safety wired all the screws and the middle bolt and I'm pleased to say $50.00 is a deal compared to others. Check it out. Free shipping.
    Flying a series 4 speedster
    Rotax 912uls whirlwind 75”

It's on Barnstormers now - N96BE. Model IV-1200. Asking price: $29,000. We made a deal at $26,000, pending inspection. I'm supposed to go look at it Monday and if it checks out I'm going to fly it home.
    Can't find the ad you're referring to - maybe the seller took it off?

3 owners in the last 4 years and 4 since the original builder, and the last one for less than a year - many reasons for people selling but this would raise flags to me that something may be amiss.

No idea on value without more info. You say never overhauled, but no info on SB's either - I'd be taking a good look at the log book and a real good look at that engine before flying it - like view spark plugs, compression test, etc. before I'd even consider putting it in the air. But hey, that's just me, to each his own.

Also an overhaul cost is completely different than a 5 year rubber replacement cost - the rubber might end up being the least of your concerns.

Nope - It's still there. The title of the ad reads, "Sale Fell Through".