Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spraying Varnish

Default Spraying Varnish

Hi,

I've read all the previous posts on Varnishing and how miserable a job I have in front of me.

If you spray the stuff it will also coat the spars. Is this a good thing? What kind of prep for the spars.

I hate sanding and painting.

Jim

Default Re: Spraying Varnish

Jim,

Asuming you are using Poly Fiber products...

A long time poly fiber rep I bought my covering materials expalained to me that the epoxy varnish is entirely compatible with the epoxy primer and overlap between the two is a good thing as it best insures a good seal over both the aluminum and wood in the case of the wing.

I prepped the spars, varnished ribs next then sprayed the spars with white epoxy primer overlapping on the ribs..results attached. Maybe not the identical scenario you are considering, but the theory is the same on overlap.

A person needs to keep in mind prep of the surface (whatever the surface material) is essential to assure the epoxy sticks well whether it is epoxy primer or epoxy varnish but the two products are not all that different functionally except for the titanium dioxide in the white primer which gives it the white color.

Sincerely,

Dave S

KF 7 Trigear Flying
    912ULS Warp Drive
    St Paul, MN
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have one coat on one half a wing left to do. It becomes a sort of zen activity.

I have wondered if it could be airbrushed on?

I didnt find the varnishing that bad. Grab a buddy, pick an interesting topic of conversation and have at er. Do it outside.

It's an afternoon project with a brush, no big deal. It's easy. You do not need
    to be neat, once the fabric goes over, you will NEVER see the varnish again.

Jeff

Thanks for the replies.

I guess what I was really trying to say is that if both the varnish and primer are epoxies will spraying the varnish on the spars act as enough protection?

Yes I am lazy.

Jim

LOL - I will tell you it is impossible to do "in an afternoon". It is simply not possible to apply three coats in one day. Plan a couple of weeks, applying a batch or two each day. It's two part varnish so you can't mix up the whole gallon in one batch and apply that much before it sets up.

I figured out that if I did the false ribs first and then the ribs after the false ribs dried, I got a lot less on my hands, arms, etc. In my mild weather and working alone, I can get 200 cc on before it sets up. That is my "batch size". I did 8 batches last Sunday and I was sore. One or two after work each day is a good pace for me.

I'll repeat myself.

Is the epoxy varnish adequate protection for the spars?

I would say no. The varnish is made to work on wood. You really want to use the epoxy primer on the aluminum spars.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

I concur with Phil's response. Varnish is not designed to use on aluminum is is intended to be used on wood.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas