Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Installing RV hoses on the 582

Default Installing RV hoses on the 582

I am replacing the RV cloth covered hoses on my 582 Mod 90 engine. The old hoses were rotten and just purchased the new hose from Rotax.

However the hose ID is much smaller than the barb OD's. I was able to get the two on at the reservior (about 3/4 way) with significant effort. They were also lubed up internally with oil. What a struggle. The two on the engine look to be even worse.

Any tricks of the trade here to get them on? Almost looks like I may need to remove the RV coverplate and coils to get at the upper engine case fitting?

Larry S.

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Default Re: Installing RV hoses on the 582

I have heard of putting hose ends in near boiling water for 3-4 minutes to soften the rubber before pushing on to barbs.
    lubrication it not recommended but a guys got to get the hoses on all the way .

I will be trying the hot water method on rotax 912 oil lines and push on barbed fittings very soon !
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

There is a lube that the truck and tractor tire guys use that doesn't have the bad qualities of oil or grease, it won't let the rubber slip off after installation. I don't know what is called but you could possibly get some in a cup from a tire repair shop.

Hand cleaner without pumice works very well for lubricating the hoses and dissipates into the cooling system with no ill effects.
    Kurt A

Kitfox II,
    Rotax 912,
    1100 gross
    Fixer Upper Project