Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rotax 915 is: Brp unveils a new turbocharged rotax aircraft engine

Default Re: Rotax 915 is: Brp unveils a new turbocharged rotax aircraft engine

Having worked for the Defense Industry for years, I understand why everything cost so much. They have more rules, regulations and requirements than you can imagine. The one side benefit, because of the Predator Drone the Light Sport Industry has one hell of a good engine. The Reliability Program that they put the supplier through, is what partially drive all the Rotax maintenance directives, and purchase cost. I appreciate the fact that the Reliability of the Military Products keeps our Sons and Daughters in the Military Safe, and they provide us with an EXTREMELY reliable Aircraft Engine. Go fly behind a Volkswagen or Corvair Aircraft engine conversion, and the reliability and parts availability is an issue.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

[quote=Danzer1;51132]A couple initial observations regarding this engine:
    The 914 was not very accepted for aircraft due to the location of the turbo, wastegate and air filter - requiring a significant modification to it or to the lower cowl to make it fit. It's no different here!
    [quote=Danzer1;51132]

Not exactly sure what your definition of significant modification to the lower cowl to make it fit really means, but I didn't have to modify my lower cowl when I installed my 914. In fact if you weren't told there was a 914 under the cowl then you wouldn't be the wiser by looking at it.

Now if you looked at the panel if would be obvious.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not exactly sure what your definition of significant modification to the lower cowl to make it fit really means, but I didn't have to modify my lower cowl when I installed my 914.
    I was not specifically referring to mounted in a Kitfox, I said "aircraft". You also don't have the standard 4" air filter (also mentioned) sticking out the side of the turbo - would it still fit?

It definitely works for some - honestly I think the price for the gain is the largest deterrent and I suspect that will be the same for the 915.

Quote Originally Posted by Danzer1 View Post
    I was not specifically referring to mounted in a Kitfox, I said "aircraft". You also don't have the standard 4" air filter (also mentioned) sticking out the side of the turbo - would it still fit?

It definitely works for some - honestly I think the price for the gain is the largest deterrent and I suspect that will be the same for the 915.
    Sorry but I do have the turbo breathing through the standard 4" filter.

I mount it in the NACA duct in the bottom of the cowl and connect the turbo to the filter through a SCAT tubing.

Takes up very little space.

Don't have a picture of the assembly altogether but here is a picture of the fitting on the side of the NACA duct that the SCAT tubing from the inlet side of the turbo connects up to and then the 4" air filter is placed on the other side of that fitting inside the throat of the NACA duct. Very compact and no significant modification to the cowling.
    Attached Images Attached Images

John,

I'm not trying to create an argument - I said "You also don't have the standard 4" air filter (also mentioned) sticking out the side of the turbo - would it still fit?"

Meaning "sticking out of the side of the turbo" as stated - in the "standard" factory location. Like this:
    914lrg.jpg

My 7SS has the 914 with the filter in the factory "standard" location,
    "sticking out the side". Also, all factory SLSA's with 914's are configured
    that way. No modifications are required to the cowl as the model 7 cowl
    plug was modeled over a 914 engine.

What model Kitfox do you have?

Phil

Phil,

I don't have one - I'm still in the planning stage. I was originally speaking of aircraft in general. I was then asking if the 914 with the factory air filter location fit under the cowl without modification. Good to know that it does.

Greg

I love the intercooler. I am looking for something that will work for my 914. I wonder when that part will be in production....

Josh,

Try here: http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=INT

You can pretty much build them in ay configuration you want.

Greg

Thanks for the info Greg.