Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotax 915 is: Brp unveils a new turbocharged rotax aircraft engine

Default Rotax 915 is: Brp unveils a new turbocharged rotax aircraft engine

ROTAX 915 IS: BRP UNVEILS A NEW TURBOCHARGED ROTAX AIRCRAFT ENGINE

For all you guys that just can't get enough power.

BRP introduces a more powerful 135-hp Rotax aircraft engine at the EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh, Wisconsin – the Rotax 915 iS.

Engine_915_iS-670transparent.jpg

Tech info:

• 4-cylinder
    • 4-stroke liquid/air-cooled engine with opposed cylinders
    • Dry sump forced lubrication with separate oil tank,
    automatic adjustment by hydraulic, valve tappet
    • Redundant electronic fuel injection, ignition, ECU
    • Engine management system
    • Electric starter
    • Propeller speed reduction gearbox
    • Air intake system
    • Turbocharger and intercooler
    • Target TBO (Time between overhauls) 2,000 hours
    • Efficiency: 280 - 310 g/kWh BFSC at 5,500 rpm
    • Service Ceiling of 23,000 feet
    185.2 lbs.

Oshkosh / Wisconsin, U.S.A., July 21, 2015 BRP introduces a more powerful 135-hp Rotax aircraft engine at the EAA AirVenture in Oshkosh, Wisconsin – the Rotax 915 iS.
    Based on the proven concept of the Rotax 912 / 914 engine series, the Rotax 915 iS engine offers more power, the best power-to-weight ratio in its class and full take-off power up to at least 15,000 feet (4,570 m) with a service ceiling of 23,000 feet (7,010 m).

“This more powerful aircraft engine – the Rotax 915 iS – was specifically requested by our customers. It opens the market to larger, heavier aircraft, larger gyrocopters and even small helicopters, or simply more performance for current applications,” said Thomas Uhr, vice president BRP-Powertrain and general manager BRP-Powertrain GmbH & Co KG. “BRP’s Rotax 4-stroke aircraft engines are already industry leaders; opening other markets represents a good growth opportunity.”

The introduction of the Rotax 915 iS engine, a 4-stroke, 4-cylinder turbocharged aircraft engine with intercooler and a redundant fuel injection system, is in response to market demand for a modern, more powerful engine allowing higher payload and shorter take-offs. It delivers the most advanced aircraft engine technology resulting in low operating cost and ease of use. The serial production of the Rotax 915 iS engine is scheduled for second half of 2017.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Default Re: Rotax 915 is: Brp unveils a new turbocharged rotax aircraft engine

Just saw it too - At 84kg I imagine it will be a screamer in a KF! ... anyone know what the price is???

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Now that is worth drooling over! Considering I just pulled my carbs and sent them in for a rebuild. The Pilot side was dumping fuel, the floats wer 6 grams, so I sent them in to be overhauled.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

ok, plenty of time to varnish now... gotta have that screamer my wife will understand that it's a safety thing since we live at such a high altitude wink wink

rosslr, what is the matter with you, asking the price Since when does price matter when building an airplane?

I was thinking, it's a deal at anything less than $40k.

I'm guessing $50K....

I concur with Esser $50K
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I think I agree with your 50k guesstimate Josh - at least in OZ$'s - I think maybe 45US?? My 912is cost me $30k Oz.

And Tim, yes I agree .... We used to talk MMU's when we had a Mooney (Mooney Monetary Units) and 1 MMU =$10k- best not to let the keeper of the purse now the whole story!

cheers

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

A couple initial observations regarding this engine:

The weight listed on BRP is 185.2 dry and only includes the engine, PSRU, turbocharger, intercooler, exhaust, ECU and fuel injection.

As usual - Rotax makes no mention of cooling radiator, oil cooler, hoses, fluids, alternator, engine truss or fuel pumps. I'm willing to bet - total installed running weight will be 205 to 210 lbs.

The 914 was not very accepted for aircraft due to the location of the turbo, wastegate and air filter - requiring a significant modification to it or to the lower cowl to make it fit. It's no different here!

Except - the intercooler now takes up even more space and will be troublesome to fit in any cowl as it extends more than 5" beyond the valve covers and quite a bit to the rear - not to mention how to get airflow to it. It would take significant redesign of the configuration and/or cowl to make this fit in any aircraft!

This engine and layout seems geared to helicopters or gyro's and not very functional for aircraft in it's current configuration- IMHO

probably fits just fine in the latest Predator drones. And when it comes to war, cost is not a concern.... JimChuk