Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: folding wings every flight

Default Re: folding wings every flight

One more possibility. Chase has talked about this and realize it is not practical for most, but as costs of hangar rental space is brought up, it sure puts a great spin on my house payment.

When building my first Model IV, the garage was going to be my hangar. I spent a lot of effort trying to get the folded length of the airplane to fit in the available space. Then on a trip back from a Scout camp where we picked up our son, we stopped along the way to see the place where I used to have my Cessna 170-B serviced. My wife and son saw a home for sale there, loved it and the rest is history. Since my work was almost exactly between old home and new home - about an hour commute - it was doable. We moved and the wingtip of my new Model IV is about 15 ft. from my right elbow as I type this. Since we moved in, two Friends with Model IVs have also moved in and a third lives nearby but rents an otherwise unused hangar attached to a home down the street.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Too bad the Sub Division is in California, or I would consider it.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Ha! Had to laugh! I've lived here since 1946 and watched it become what it is - not fun watching. My only problem is that given our elevation above the winter fog, below the snow line and winds seldom above 10 kts. and given most days are fly days unless a front is passing through along with great neighbors we haven't figured where to go, though we talk about it all the time. I have five kids - FL, KS, WY, Ga and AZ. All nice places but the extremes there give us serious pause. Think wind - sometimes the really extreme kind, humidity, and extreme temps. Right now it's 98°, 45% humidity and wind 4 mph. It sort of makes this place seem pretty good despite being Cantaffordya.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by HighWing View Post
    Cantaffordya.
    Never heard it called that but, it definitely sums up my problem with living there! When I traveled out there for work, I was always amazed at the $$$$ everything cost. Hell I could treat my wife an I to a very nice dinner for the cost of eating lunch in LA. I was sure glad I was on business expense when I went.

Hell I looked at the vacant lot around the corner from your House. They want more for it than I paid for my house.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    Hell I looked at the vacant lot around the corner from your House. They want more for it than I paid for my house.
    I hope you were looking at the combined lot - a little over an acre on the end of Fairway. Most of the lots for sale have been on the marked for years. it makes me wonder what the sellers are thinking. There is one lot, however listed at $136,000. Considering the two higher figures posted as hangar rent, the cost per month is estimated at slightly more than the $500 per month hangar rental. This is primarily the reason I posted my experience. If you are paying a fairly high hangar rent, it effectively reduces the price of the home proportionately. Consider a hangar 35ft. X 45ft. with 14ft. Ceiling and a 20ft. X 12ft. door for say $500 a month or $1000 a month. One of my Kitfox buddies keeps his Kitfox - wings extended - and his Bonanza in his hangar. (Pic Below) Some of the homes, surprisingly have no hangars, but imagine pulling your airplane out of the garage, unfolding the wings and then taxiing to the runway on the Street/Taxiways as they are called.

This is all just food for thought, but does give one major reason why we're still in Cantaffordya..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

How much roughly is a house with a hangar on the airport? How much is the monthly fee? If you don't mind me asking

There is one house listed currently. 3 bdr. 3 Bath 2380 sq. ft. with hangar no garage, but carport. No size given on the hangar. Asking $480,000.

A note on the airpark. Cameron Park came into being during the late 60s. The airport and a golf course were the attractions. back then, it was pretty much out in the country and became a natural rest stop for Bay Area weekenders on their way to Lake Tahoe. I would guess that most early homes were built as weekend getaways. Some of he older homes are fairly small and often uniquely designed. Later as the area grew up, larger year around residences were built. Today we have two major super markets, two major pharmacies a couple of hardware stores and numerous restaurants. My home and the other shown were both built about 1995 - same builder. We have about 90 homes with runway access. HOA/airport access fees are $300 a year.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Wow, that is extremely reasonable. I paid that for my 1300sq/ft house sans airport. But I live in a fairly expensive housing market. Maybe I'll retire to California haha.

I was looking at the double lot. $480,00 isn't bad, and only $300 a year for homeowners is great. The homeowners at my brothers place is $158 per month. I'm surprised the houses are that reasonable. My vision of California cost is LA. A friend of mine sold her 1200 square foot condo for $600,000 a few years back. I would have guessed closer to $750,000 on the airpark.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Sounds like the thought of palm trees are beckoning Josh ...."come to me, come to me, take off your freezer suite and let the sun make vitamin D ...."
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)