Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 582 oil injection or premix

Default 582 oil injection or premix

Hi Guys,
    I don't currently have a Kitfox but am taking tailwheel lessons now with the hope of getting into a mod 4 in the future. I currently fly gyros with a 582 that is set up for premix. I "feel" better with premix and with the gyro it is not an issue since I do not really make cross countrys in it. My question is how many of you flying 2 strokes are using the injection? number of hours trouble free? How many actually had an issue with the injection system? Obviously injection would be much easier to deal with on cross countries since I could just keep my oil tank topped off. I have heard the stories of people having injection issues, and honestly little plastic gears do kind of scare me with something so vitally important. Maybe that is why I feel a little nervous not premixing. Am I overly concerned? Looking for experience not so much thought process of why one is better than the other. I already have my own opinion-just trying to find out if it is justified.
    Thanks Mark

Default Re: 582 oil injection or premix

Hello Mark,
    I purchased my 253 hour KF2 from a man who removed the injection system. He never flew it. I contacted the man he bought it from. Reportedly the plane was flown from its birth with the injection system intact and no reported problems. I am reinstalling it.

Lou
    Lou
    KitFox II

Talking Re: 582 oil injection or premix

I have 320 hrs with no problems.
    582 oil injection in kitfox.

1100 hrs on injection!
    One of our club planes converted to injection 300 hrs ago after a lot of persuasion on my part,they now wouldn't go back to premix!
    Regular checks are a must,set up as per rotax recommendations or slightly advanced on the oil lever,bleed the systym,premix 100:1 initially.
    Aim for 70:1 average(40:1 is achievable but wasteful )
    As a bonus your idle jets can be leaner(I run 35's) giving a smoother idle and warmup 2000 rpm! ( I believe the jetting is set idle rich to ensure adequate
    Fuel/ oil on a long throttle closed decent)
    Any failures here can always be traced to the installation or operater !
    I hope this is of some help
    As a bonus on cross country trips I can fly all day on a 2 litre oil tank so just pull up to the avgas pump fill and go!

I have a 3.7 liter tank and I wouldn't let the prop drive the engine on decent.

165 trouble free hours with the injection system. If you do premix, try to burn what you mix and don't allow it to sit in the tank for any length of time.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Thanks guys, 5 for and all with experience and 0 against. Sounds like maybe I need to rethink my position on it. I really appreciate your input!
    Thanks Mark