Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CDI Trouble?

Default Re: CDI Trouble?

Wheels,

Thanks for the follow-up info. I hadn't considered the potential effects of intervening maintenance - good point....I think your securement of the repaired connection will insure reliability. You know, when I discovered the silicon tape......that's great stuff...then I wondered where it had been all my life! I find myself adapting many of the tricks I learned on building & maintaining our plane to my automotive work (including use of the silicon tape) .....my wife even has aircraft grade hardware on her Swedish Weaving Loom now.

Slyfox....your comment about knowing how to solder correctly is golden....when I have seen failures on soldered wiring, almost always seems to be due to technique issues or securement

Sounds like Wheels is good to go!

Fly well,

Dave S

Thanks for letting us know. Interested, was the ign unit really failed?
    I had the red wire fail at about 100hrs, broke from vibration, it was a rotax crimped connection.
    About ignition unit double failure, I have seen it several times (on several aircraft) , it is the slow speed start circuit that fails, once at speed normal circuit cuts in operates normally. Seems it is only later model units with 2 plug connectors. Earlier units that have seperate bullet connectors for grounding wires and the red wires don't seem to suffer from this failure. Expensive units, you can get away with buying only one unit to start the engine. I have found a place in Western Australia that can repair for half the cost. I believe it's a thrimister that fails( probably a 50c part). Tom

I have not tested the other two units I have been playing with. one was my old unit, I need to test it. the other is a friends unit and I need to test it as well. both units were suspected failures and simply replaced. Quite possible that neither is bad. I"ll let you know, but to be honest with you, I'm tired of maintenance problems with this motor. I flew for a few minutes last night after the repair and although the plane seemed fine, I was not having any fun. Tonight, same feeling, this does not bode well my friends. I"ll take some time and evaluate the components I have shelved and let you know the results, but I may need some time to evaluate my situation and make proper decisions. Don't hold your breath, but I'll get to it.

If it were me I would change out the red wire on both. plus bypass the connector, solder all the way baby with heat shrink. if you have your cdi's mounted on the motor, get that moved as well to the motor mount, less vibration. make sure your grounds are connected to a separate mounting direct to the battery ground. eliminate the possibility of vibration breaks and forget about it.

I've put about 50 hours on the new CDI. Plane runs like a sewing machine. Its a beautiful thing. I'm happy again.

are you going to the fly-in?
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

yes, I'm taking my bride and doing some route planning now. It's harder than usual but I have reservations at the holiday inn.

Good to hear your feeling better about the plane. See you and Pam in McCall.

I am glad your plane is running better. It's frustrating when you have problems- but when everything is right they sure are fun!!!😃👍