Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rotec Enignes

Default Re: Rotec Enignes

Interesting that you mention the attitude. I purchased a rotec tbi for my 0-200 last year. I saw rotec had a tent set up at sun n fun this year. I went over to talk to them and was completely ignored by the guys. The only one doing any talking to people was the girl showing off the radial. I was really shocked.

Smile Re: Rotec Enignes

Quote Originally Posted by ken nougaret View Post
    Interesting that you mention the attitude. I purchased a rotec tbi for my 0-200 last year. I saw rotec had a tent set up at sun n fun this year. I went over to talk to them and was completely ignored by the guys. The only one doing any talking to people was the girl showing off the radial. I was really shocked.
    Hi Guys, Paul here from Rotec, Firstly, The Rotec engine is truely a great performer in the Kitfox and we have many testimonies and examples of them flying all around the world. The power and performance would be every bit as good as the 912, Id say a bit better. The radial is 2.8 liters vs the Rotax 1.2 Ltrs. Rotax is a great engine now doubt, its just that life would be pretty bloody boring if that's all anyone ever flew right!
    John McBean and I are pals we get on great and he and I had a deal in regards to displaying our engine on his plane for promotional reasons, after he won the Bronze Lindy that year in 2010 John then promtly sold the engine and FW forward to one of his Kitfox customers. This promotion has made me many engine sales and John kits, John and I will repeat the process again, we are talking next will be a radial Kitfox on floats.

As for the guy at the show, anyone that knows me knows I talk my brains out at shows and try to help everyone I can. I travel all the way to the USA from Australia, I'm on my own, a one man show, I'm often busy as hell in the booth with other customers, so If I miss some one I'm sorry.
    If anyone is interested in a radial solution for their Kitfox we have Oshkosh deals on now, between John and I we can make it happen.
    Cheers Guys!
    See attached my own Kitfox, I cant wait to get this puppy flying, just there's this little thing called Rotec in my way
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's another couple
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the reply but I would be interested in seeing a dyno read out, I know the rotax does not really get 100hp. So it would be nice to see real data. rotorway would never show a dyno of their engine because it would not make 150hp.

Thanks for the pictures Paul. Is that a model 5? Every time I'm at Oshkosh the Rotec booth is packed. Your engine and the kitfox is the best looking combo I have seen. Good luck! Hopefully you get your plane flying soon.

I took this project all the way to taxi tests and then sold it off to fund my kitfox. Sometimes you gotta make difficult choices

It's a Bakeng Deuce. Paul was great. He even made the motor mount to my specifications.

01f99b5f93bb93e31b5b25e3dc5178ed32ffd90380.jpg

016d250b69f99d9f8c3f40783145d84d279ea8d421.jpg

Some beautiful finish work on Paulc landing gear fairings, definitely a lot of time doing foam shaping and fiberglass work. It all looks to fit well. I’d be concerned with cracks in the fiberglass, just because of the excellent fit.

The wings spars look to have the underside cambered ribs, which would have been on one of the earlier models. Kind of hard to tell on my small iPad screen.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

agree Paul..looks like a model 3 wing
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

I believe I have made my decision on the engine. I will be going with the 912 iS. Two main reasons are cabin heat, and ease of installation with the dynon avionics. Dynon has recently upped their engine computer to accept 14 thermal couplers so you can have egt and cht for all cylinders of the rotec without having to use a second engine computer but with the iS it is a can bus connection and very easy. Secondary considerations are cruise speed, weight, and the fact that the 912 is a common engine in the kitfox with lots of support on this forum. I also intend to use an IFA prop as I am not worried about LSA rules. Thanks to all who have posted to this thread.

I think it was just yesterday, but someone had a Rotec radial on barnstormers with 75 hrs on it. $7500 + $1500 for the exhaust. Just looked, it's still up. Jim Chuk