Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Prop tape

Default Prop tape

I need some advice!
    I recently put clear leading edge/prop protecter on my black prop
    Problem is there are small air pockets that get worse on hot days,so I think it is time to try again.
    Has anyone tried installing using soapy water? Like sign writers do
    Would this make it easier to get the air out and would the adhesive be compromised?

Talking Re: Prop tape

I use prop tape on my Cardinal RG. The prop is very low and close to the ground and I was plagued with prop dings. The tape has made a huge difference in reducing the prop dings from operating off grass strips and airports with less than clean ramps.

The last application of tape was about three years ago. It still looks like new. No dings.

Other pilots on the airport also use the product and we all agree you should apply it on a surface cleaned with denatured alcohol on a warm day or warm the prop first with a hair dryer. If you do have some bubbles during application a warming with a hair dryer can help. Do not use a heat gun on the tape as the excessive heat will cause the tape to bubble and curl instantly. No more heat than body temperature. Then use a plastic squeegee like the ones sold for body putty to smooth down the tape.

Do not use soaps of any kind. The lotions in soap will prevent a proper bonding.

If you still have an area that has a bubble, gently lift the tape with a knife tip to let the air out. In some cases we just poke the tape with a needle and smooth out the bubble. If the bubble returns lift the tape and dab in some alcohol with a cotton swab. Then squeegee the area flat.

I can't over emphasize the use of a squeegee to get adequate pressure and smoothing when applying the tape. Not using a squeegee will almost guarantee bubbles.

The STC for this product requires a preflight inspection. If damage is noted then the tape must be removed before flight.

John

Default Re: Prop tape

Thanks John ,I see a couple of things I could do better.
    Would heat make it easier to remove the old tape?
    Does tape leave a residue that the alcohol will remove?

Thanks

Question for John,

How well do you think prop tape would work on a Warp drive with Nickle leading edge that has some hours on it? So far I have not gotten anything other than fine abrasion marks on the nickle edge and I don't know if that would interfere with adhesion of the tape or not? I keep thinking some day I will find some ramp debris that will leave a significant mark and it sounds like the tape does a pretty good job of proteting a prop.

Thanks,

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    Thanks John ,I see a couple of things I could do better.
    Thanks
    Heating makes removal easier. The one time I replaced the tape it was on like it was super glued . When I used a heat gun it not only lifted the tape but curled it at the same time. That's why I caution not to use a heat gun for installation.

Yes the tape left a small amount of residue that cleans up in a jiffy with denatured alcohol.

John Pitkin

I've been using urethane protective tape on the leading edge of my T-18 prop for many years - long before it was marketed, or widely used for that purpose. It's been very effective on my wood Aymar-Demuth prop, & it has prevented a lot of rock chip damage. I use a UV resistant product made by 3M - #8671. It is 1" wide & .014" thick. The leading edge of that prop has a slight curve to it, & I apply the tape with a slight amount of tension which causes it to conform nicely through the curve. I've never had a problem with bubbles. You never want to compromise the adhesion with anything... always apply to a very clean surface (I like to use disposable rubber gloves when handling it). I always inspect it before flight, but have never had any sign of loosening or peeling. It would be very bad if it peeled off one blade in flight, due to imbalance of course. When you want to remove it, it comes off without too much problem with the help of a heat gun. One other point - there is a tiny disruption of airflow with the tape at the edge, vs a perfectly smooth leading edge. There may be a slight decrease in propeller efficiency with its use. Careful before & after static rpm readings will tell you if there is. I think you could successfully use it on just about any prop, Dave.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I'm very impressed with the Prop Guard prop tape. It is the STC -PMA product. It is not the 3M experimental tape also sold by ACS. But, for all I know they could be the same product.

I too have a Warp Drive with nickel LE on my Kitfox. The nickel is supposed to protect the composite blades but I'm thinking the prop tape is cheap insurance on top of the nickel. And, it's field repairable.

For installation on a slightly used prop I would simply sand the leading edge smooth to remove any nicks and go ahead with the tape. The product is quite flexible and when applied with a body putty type squeegee it seems to fill in smal pits and dings. It's hard to comprehend how the tape works so well when it is so soft, but pebbles just seem to bounce off. Like I said the tape on the McCaulley has about three years and a couple hundred hours in service and it still looks new.

The tape does alter the prop leading edge profile slightly making it a bit larger, but I have not seen any difference in climb or cruise performance.

In any case I highly recommend the Prop Guard product and will use it on all my props in the future. It keeps the prop blades free of dings and that is worth far more than the cost of the tape. I even carry a roll in my spares box in case the tape gets damaged away from home.

Here's a tip. Order the 3 blade kit for best value. There's enough tape in the 3 blade kit to do a 2 blade twice for only a small increase in price.

John Pitkin