Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: LED Landing lights

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Re: LED Landing lights

yes...i will give you "come back" of my led project....i check for 30w,50w and 100 w led chip ...but it work on 32 volt,,,so you need an tranformer
    but it is really bright...30 watt is 3000 lumen,,,50 watt is 4000-5000 lumen and 100 watt is 8000-9000 lumen...
    i will make a tes how far you see the strobe in daylight with the 10 watt....and if i dont like the result i will going with 30w with tranformer

Here's another idea for you guys: http://www.amazon.com/3800lm-Outdoor.../dp/B009PWE6RW

Already in a weatherproof housing, all you'd have to do is rewire the switching and power (which you have to do anyway) and mount them.

Greg

I ordered this pair as backup lights for my Suzuki Samurai. I installed 1 and tested, it is so good I don't think I will in stall the other. I believe they are 1620 Lumens each.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/2PCS-LED-Wor...item3cec8c3a85

Well here are some pictures for everyone. We are designing it to fit into the kitfox wing. It is a little bigger than we were hoping for but we made it fit.

We designed a water proof housing which drove up the weight to 196 grams(7 oz). We hope to have the first prototype fully machines and assembled in a couple weeks to verify strength, weight, and performance. So far we have the chip and the light and it looks very promising. Hard to show in pictures.

My experience. I put some home brew (Meaning non name branded) position and strobes on my currently flying Model IV. They were from a design by the electronics GURU at Kitplanes. It wasn't until recently that I re-read my Airworthiness Certificate and Operating Limitations that I noticed that the airplane is limited to daytime VFR. At the time of the inspection, there was no talk about any of the systems, electrical or otherwise, just a fairly thorough inspection. You guys who are going the inexpensive or home brew route might put a little research and documentation into your build book and maybe should bring up the subject during the inspection. I doubt many of these guys know a lumen from a lemon, but they do recognize a Whelen when they see one.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Hi Lowell...for me..like you said...i cant fly in night..so i just want an good strobe for make sure everyone see me in sky in daytime...that is why i dont need a light on plane..

Lowell,

A follow-up on your statement & my experience....

"...my Airworthiness Certificate and Operating Limitations that I noticed that the airplane is limited to daytime VFR. At the time of the inspection, there was no talk about any of the systems, electrical or otherwise, just a fairly thorough inspection."

As we have come to understand the real world......all DARs operate under the same agency and under the same rules for their profession; however there are plenty of observed individual variances among DARs with regard to what they cover, how thorough the inspection is, what is emphasised during the inspection, etc, etc. I have come to the conclusion that a builder needs to think about what is important to them and the use their plane will get and then communicate and ask a lot of questions of the DAR so the Builder & DAR are traveling the same wavelength.

I knew from the start that I wanted limitations that did not exclude Day/Night VFR.....not that I fly at night all the time but it has utility for dragging it home late after the sun goes down. I did communicate with the DAR before the inspection regarding this issue and he says...."Sure...we can do D/N VFR and here is how I will evaluate the plane for this purpose....If you want LED position & Strobes, I want to see: 1) an approved LED unit, or 2) an unapproved LED unit that you have substantiated the light quantity, quality and radius is equivalent to the requirement". For non-LED systems, he was fine if it was either a traditional unit or a non approved unit that has bulbs which are acceptable in an approved unit. The deal that I was reminded of is that LED systems were considered in their infancy at the time I requested an airworthiness inspection.

He also asked me if I was intending to do acrobatics...well, no......but he was pretty good at asking all the operational questions.

Sincerely,

Dave S