Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
My understanding is that anyone can work on their experimental aircraft and it does not require an AnP to sign off the work. If the aircraft is not in "annual", then the yearly conditional inspection has to be performed by an AnP (doesn't need to have the IA) If you have a repairman's certificate for that aircraft than you can do your own conditional inspection. The part about notifying the FAA if you make a major change (like an engine) is correct. I have had FAA inspections after I changed an engine in an Avid, without an AnP signoff on the work and the FAA inspector had no issue with that. If I am wrong, I would like to know the FAR that says I am. :-) Jim Chuk
I am with Jim 100% on this one with one exception. I know guys with a working relationship with an A&P who will thoroughly go over the check list, show the A&P what was done and then he will sign the log book. There is nothing in the recommended wording that states or implies that the person signing the log book actually did the inspection. The wording from my FAA examiner on a sticker he provided for me to use reads, "I certify that this aircraft has been inspected on (date) in accordance with the scope and detail of Appendix D to Part 43 and found to be in condition for safe operation. Checking online there is a downloadable Appendix D. It consists of a detailed generic check list with a signature line at the bottom requiring a name, signature and date. There is no line for a certificate number. That would be placed in the log book with the appropriate wording by the person authorized to "sign" off the inspection.

I would suspect that prudence would dictate how this is used in real life. I suspect there are one or two non builder owners of experimental aircraft that would be wise to go all the way with an A&P because they may be great pilots but not really up to speed on which end of a screwdriver is the working end. Then again consider your A&P wisely as some just may not be up to speed on the specific needs of your airplane.