I am new to the forum and experimental planes as well. I would appreciate some advice! After flying high performance 4 seaters like Bellanca Vikings, I have the itch to fly quite a bit lower and slower. After a few months of google research I narrowed my search to planes with side by side seating and folding wings. I simply do not have time for a full build from scratch.

Yesterday I put a deposit on a 1995 finished in 1999 classic 4 (N61AC) that had been damaged in 2008 and purchased by a man that attempted to get it flying again by purchasing new wing kits. Unfortunately he died before completion in 2012. The plane needs cleaning from seating in a covered barn for a few years now, everything firewall forward, new instruments, new engine, and new prop (at a minimum). Basically for less than $2000 I am getting the undamaged covered fuselage , in tack landing gear, intact covered tail and rudder, 80% completed replacement wing kit and a used Subaru engine(which I will probably sell off cause I have no history on it)

My questions, if other members would be so kind to answer.

1. How difficult is re-registration (FAA says its expired in Oct 2013). Be advised before you answer that the man that died can't sign the title and his friend that is selling the plane is not the owner. I will be calling the FAA tomorrow with this question.
2. How difficult is re certification assuming that I purchase a new powerplant and prop? The FAA says it once had a air worthiness cert but it is not with the paperwork.
3. No build logs accompany the purchase. Since the wings are still uncovered, it needs a new panel and new powerplant I am not very concerned with this. Should I be?
4. The most important question... is this a deal, based on what I have explained, one that I need to run from or is this a plane that could be flying legally and safely in 100hours or so?