Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 912 on Kitfox Lite??

Default 912 on Kitfox Lite??

Is installing a 912 on a Kitfox Lite in any way practical.

Can a Kitfox Lite, factory built as an ultra lite by SkyStar and run in with a 2SI engine then crated up and put in a box where the owner has left it stored, be moved to experimental amateur built at the heavier weight with a 912. Assume no documents came with the plane.

I am sure this is a huge can of worms at best and anyone reading this is rolling their eyes, but curiosity is getting the better of me at the moment.

BJ KF IV 1050 with 912

Default Re: 912 on Kitfox Lite??

Technically the opportunity to do this closed back in 2007 when you could register these "illegal" or "fat" ultralights as an E-LSA. (That's how my yellow plane, IV-1050, was registered.)

At this point, legally, what you have there is a fancy paperweight.

There are plenty of these "illegal" ultralights continuing to fly and supplying lots of fun, off the grid. You can choose to do this, just keep it quiet and far away from any airport (FAA checks). Operate at your own risk.

There have been some cases of people using the component parts and building a "new" plane using parts. The success of this depends greatly on your FAA inspector, your paperwork creativity and your luck. Again, at your own risk.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Maybe I'm just ignorant, but isn't a 912 a bit heavy for a Kitfox Lite? Just wondered.
    Larry

That plane has very little structure. I would not hang anything on it with much power or weight.
    Roger

I would check with the FAA Designated Airworthiness Representative (DAR) before spending a lot of time on this effort. He can tell you if it can be registered or not. Best to get the word from the Person responsible for signing it off.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

If when you say Kitfox Lite, you mean the single seat ultralight Kitfox built, the 912 would be an awful lot of engine for the plane. If you want a 4 stroke engine, the better choice probably would be an HKS. That plane would perform great with 60 HP. As far as the registration goes, you might be able to "rebuild" the plane and register it Experimental Amateur Built, but as was already mentioned, talk to the DAR first. Jim Chuk