Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FNG Introductions

Default FNG Introductions

Hello Kitfoxers...

New to this forum. I have been a fan of Kitfox planes since I first saw them at the Alaska State Fair maybe in 1984-ish. I wanted one then so bad but I was only 13 at the time.

Currently living near Oregon City Oregon, married with two children and have hit midlife in stride.

I'm very interested in purchasing a Kitfox, more of the Series 7 Bush Plane setup, very minimal with large tundra tires and minimal instruments.

My problem/s is I do not have the $ resources to obtain the entire kit on one purchase. Also need some guidance on how to convince the wife this idea to build a plane in the garage is THE BEST IDEA EVER!!!

What path of ownership is the best?

Thanks for any advice in advance...Ed
    Last edited by g2em3; 02-15-2015 at 04:38 PM.

Default Re: FNG Introductions

Ed,

Can't think of anyone I know who can afford flying........That's not the point...the point is like this......I can guarantee you that NOBODY who has built an airplane, tested it and learned much from the journey shared with their family & friends, when they are 107 years old on their death bed will EVER say "Gee, I sure wish I hadn't built that airplane".

I think you already have thoughts about how to minimize the cost so you can "git 'er done"....having minimum instruments and no extras goes a long way. Just like the pounds on the empty weight can add up...the $ can add up if a person gets every accessory ever sold.

I was one of those people who had to mimimize my expenses so I could do it....most would consider it a little radical but I started by ordering a bare frame and weldments..no powder coating...done sandblasting & lots of painting in the past so that was no big deal....getting the slow build wings saves some $......I shopped the aeronautical wrecking yard....& didn't have to look too far to find some very basic and inexpensive but good instruments...seems that the rest of the world was taking them out and putting something called "glass" in the panels.

One thing that often isn't talked about on cost of a build is just how badly the total cost will increase if a person takes too long to get the build done. Costs never go down...builders insurance keeps sucking up dollars every year the plane is not done and flying. But, we all have our limitations on how much we can spend per year so set a total plan and stick to it as well as you can. Planning=cheaper. Not planning =not cheaper.

Having one's spouse on board - That's as good idea! Best ever argument...."Honey, if I build this airplane in the garage you will always know where I am for (insert amount of time in your build plan)". Many spouses also get involved in the build - it'a great to work together on a project. Then there is the deal when you get it done & tested....she needs a ride! You know, us humans, we are happiest when we are involved in activities that we are intensly interested in.....wives like happy husbands.... Supporting one's spouse in things they want to do goes a long ways too - gotta be fair!

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

When I bought my series 6 kit in 2000 Kitfox (actually it was Skystar at that time) hooked me up with a bank that financed it. No regrets, I would do it again.

Very true Dave S.
    Boats, Planes, Fast Cars all require $ we don't have but we make our dreams come true somehow.

Thanks for the Words of Wisdom, I will need to learn the fine art of used items and labor over $...I do have time and the stay in the garage trick will help. I'll be here honey, for about 4000+ hours.

896tr, I will look at loans, kind of want this paid for with no loans but maybe the whole time vs. money thing has me rethinking that angle. Thanks for the replies...Ed

Ed, welcome. Keep in mind that the kits can be purchased one at a time to lessen the checking account drain. Just know that you will incur more shipping charges that way but it may be one avenue to building a little sooner than you might otherwise. My advice is always to get the fuselage kit first if you do go this route.

Hope it works out soon for you. Like Dave said, no regrets when you build and fly your own Kitfox. So many regrets if you never do. Best of luck to you.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I couldn't afford to buy a new kit, engine, avionics, prop, etc. I kept watching on Barnstormers and other sites for a new unfinished Kitfox project. You should be able to find these for less than half the price of new.

One of the things that helped me was to determine what I did not want and avoided them. I didn't want a KF IV-1050 or earlier model, a two stroke Rotax or an automotive engine. I really wanted a KF 5 (the newer series) or higher model with a Rotax 4 cycle or a certified aircraft engine.

I found several airframes without engines that I could have purchased. If you get the airframe at at a bargain price you still might have to buy a new engine, engine mount, cowling, prop and avionics and it is not much of a bargain. It turned out much better to buy an airframe and engine together. That way the engine mount, cowl, prop and other things were already a matched set. I would avoid buying a good airframe with an engine, mount and cowl that I didn't intend use; chances are there won't be much of a market to sell those.

You can also watch for a plane that was in an accident and possibly get a really good price, but do you have the skills to rebuild it? How deep did the damage really go? What looks like a bargain may not be the case once you totally tear down the airframe, engine, etc. I personally decided to avoid this.

As it ended up I found a model 5 Outback (tail dragger) with a brand new (in the crate) Continental IO-240 engine with matching cowlings, engine mount and prop. It did not include any avionics, which I was happy about because I got to pick what I wanted. FYI the Model 5 and 6 aren't a lot different from the model 7 and most of the changes can be incorporated if you so desire. So for about half the price of getting a new kit I have a new model 5. I should be done building it by this summer.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Thanks for all the replies, never thought of the used angle. Some good ideas here and good people...Ed

My input since my motivation is different, I think, than most others here.

I purchased a used flying Kitfox II. I am going to get my Sport license this coming summer. I have not held a license and my age suggests I would never finish a build. I will be able to go through instruction in my airplane and after obtaining my license, I have a plane to continue flying. I have no aspirations to go beyond sport flying.

fwiw
    Lou
    KitFox II

Hate to be a prude, but I'm wondering if "FNG" is an appropriate term here.
    Joe

I'll try to edit it selenski.

I tried.

Looks like I can't remove the Title, it seems time based.

If there is an admin who wants to edit it out feel free.

Was not trying to offend.
    Last edited by g2em3; 02-15-2015 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Tried to remove a Term