Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
I believe Canada will require ADS-B equipment in larger/heavier & faster aircraft before the U.S. deadline. I wouldn't be too surprised if it becomes a requirement for smaller aircraft also sometime in the not too distant future. Plus, you have the 12" registration number requirement that includes homebuilts, no hand guns allowed, etc... or am I wrong? (It wouldn't be the first time!) I know there is a lot of "bending of the rules" that occurs, but it seems that many of the new rules, regulations, & standards that come about in the U.S. in recent years are due to bureaucrats & regulators trying to copy & be just like the rest of the world, including possibly Canada. At least it sometimes seems that way.
Canada has ADS-B in the high arctic and over the oceanic airspace. There are ADS-B stations in Canada too but I'm not sure on the southern coverage. We do have a requirement for 10" registration. There is one case where you need 12" but I can't think of it off the top of my head but you are correct, US Aircraft can fly in with 4". We are allowed handguns but you need a restricted portion on your license and you can't carry it where ever you want.

TC tried to implement 406 ELTs 10 years ago and the debate raged on. We kicked and screamed because back then a 406 ELT was $5000+. It still isn't mandatory after all of our lobbying but the prices are down significantly. Slightly similar story to the ADS-B debate.

It will be interesting to see when Canada requires it for GA as it is the direction the world is going. But at the same time, our airspace is not congested like Teterboro, Atlanta, Chicago, etc. so maybe they will let us live in peace.