Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vasaline like goo in my fuel filter

Default Re: Vasaline like goo in my fuel filter

Did this happen after you put gas containing ethanol in them. Did I mention that I like see through filters.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Yes I put in gasohol
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I have a type III with the non-ethanol allowed tanks. So far no problems. A couple of observations you're having with foreign material in the tanks.

1. I seems inconceivable that a female mold was used to make these tanks thus leaving mold release on the inside (how'd they get the mold out?)

2. and if they did, what irresponsible manufacturer would assemble a tank and leave goop on the inside??

3. KitFox should be able to tell us whether they used epoxy or poly-ester resine for these tanks.

4. in any event, I would clean these tanks the very best I could with a LOT of MEK, and then coat the inside with a couple of coat of epoxy resine. Epoxy is impervious to gas alcohol, or whatever.

5. Unless you want to remove the tank. I would cut a 1 foot square hole in the top to gain access to clean and coat. The hole could be covered by making a 1/2" flange and reinstalling the cover with nut plates or epoxying the top back into place.

6. If I was building a new airplane, I'd make this mod to the tanks before I installed them.

Stay warm,
    Chuck Gruby
    Petal, Kit Fox III Flying

My response was to those in this thread that are still building. I should have clarified my response. It seems that there are two methods, one for new uninstalled tanks and another process if the tanks are installed. Or, the process has changed over the years.

I guess I will have to post a photo of the sticker on my new tanks, not yet installed, with the sticker still in place before you will believe me. It says 50/50 acetone and auto gas and NOT to use av gas. I have 10 gallons of old avgas that I would love to use to flush my tanks.

I will go to the hanger and post the photo. If I can't read English and have it backwards, I will eat crow.

I rinsed after my tanks were installed by taking the wings off, poring in 1/2 gallon of acetone, sloshing, draining and repeating til the contents ran clear. This was a two person job and took 1/2 a day, >400 hrs later and running great.

This is my story
    http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=1557
    Last edited by Dorsal; 01-15-2015 at 11:00 AM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

take the cap off the tanks and put your fingers inside the tank and feel if it's soft or stuff comes off on your fingers, if so, tanks are bad for alki.

I had the brown goo after rinsing well with acetone. I filled my tanks with ethanol gas and they sat about a week. I noticed the brown goo so, I drained my tanks and have never had a problem since. Ethonal is a pretty good solvent my theory is the ethanol cleaned the rest of the contaminate (mold release, pva, i don't know what). Never had a problem since.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

No ethonol fuel in my plane since the tanks went in. I pulled the gascolator and it is absolutely clean. The filters in the cockpit got the goo. Did I say I like those filters? I"ll flush with the wings on and post if there is any residual but I'm not afraid to fly it after the tanks are cleaned. Thanks for all the posts. Skis on tonight!

what is the issue with the goo, I have built 3 experimental the last being a Rans S7--this was not an issue at all, What are the tanks made from on the Kitfox and is it a better material than the poly tanks from Rans?

The Kitfox tanks are made of fiberglass. They need to be strong because they are structural to the wing.

Rans uses smaller roto-molded polyethylene tanks which are not integral to the wing structure.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos