Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 582 fuel pump help

Default 582 fuel pump help

I'm trying to breath life back into a model IV that was left to rot for 10 years. I'm making progress, but little stuff is starting to slow me down. Like this fuel pump. From what I've read the builder installed it wrong, vertically, so now I have to make a horizontal mount. But I want to replace or rebuild it first. I've found two, both overseas! I don't see it in the LEAF catalog or the Kitfox parts PDF. Any ideas what to do?
    Thanks,
    Jay
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: 582 fuel pump help

It is a mikuni pump which is used on snowmobiles. Get the pump parts through a snowmobile parts supplier maybe. Just be sure to put them back in the right order. Jim Chuk

Jay,
    Don't get yourself too tied up in fixing what may not be broken. The mounting of the fuel pump you have is straight out of the original build manual and will work fine. Yes, a better mounting may be horizontal, but you'll find it will work without trouble for you as-is.

Spend $15 for a rebuild kit and move on. Here's a link:

http://store.leadingedgeairfoils.com..._description=1
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

So mounting it vertical is wrong? I've never heard that one. I ran one for 15 years vertical and I don't think I've ever seen one mounted on its side. I don't think it knows the difference since it only has a diaphragm that works off of crank case pulses. I'd buy a new one and put it back where is was. Make sure you use a good quality pulse line. A too soft pulse line will absorb the crank case pulses. James Thomas

There's a tiny weep hole to drain any condensate or leakage which in theory should be mounted face down, but like James, I've never ever had an issue with the vertical mounting.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Make sure you use a good quality pulse line. A too soft pulse line will absorb the crank case pulses. James Thomas[/quote]

I wonder if a guy should use stainless steel braid line?

Nah, not really necessary. Just order up some pulse line when you order the rebuild kit.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

No need for anything fancy for a pulse line. Just good quality fuel line will work fine. Ultralight folks use a lot of clear Tygon fuel line. It's ok but it's only good for about a year. It's pretty soft so it's not a good idea to use it as pulse line. I say this because I have seen it used as pulse line. Tygon is ok where the engine is out in the open but I'd use the good stuff and a fire sleeve in anything with an enclosed engine. James Thomas

The pump must be mounted higher than the crankcase nipple or it may fill with oil.The weep hole is to help reduce this possibility

So mounting it vertical is wrong? I've never heard that one.
    Hi!

Have a look at your Installation Manual page 15. The drain hole has to mount towards the bottom, ergo horizontal installation.

Regards

Olaf
    Attached Images Attached Images