Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Do you carry a weapon on board?

Default Re: Do you carry a weapon on board?

I am almost never WITHOUT a weapon, or 5. The big plane has several onboard. I am licensed for conceal/carry. Good idea to check reciprocity laws though. But the only time I ever had even a remote problem was in Indianapolis. Ramp check, asked why there was a box of .45ACP in the galley. LOL I was honest, told him, showed him my C/C card, all weapons licensed to me. As long as they didn't leave the aircraft, he said they had no problem. To me my guns are my insurance. It's better to have them and never need them, then vice versa. Plus, a smart insured has several "policies" Be safe, smart and ethical. Just remember, it's your right to arm bears.....or something like that.
    Denny

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Regarding John Evan's comment:

" wouldn't want to be carrying that thing around in California, New York City, New Jersey or a few other places I could think of."

For such places afflicted with extreme political correctness......there is an option...may even be affective in certain circles......can easily be purchased at any Wal Mart without a background check.

DS
    Hah!!! That's a good one, Dave. I might have to get one of those to use against my younger brother.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Well for me, I purchace a 4 pcs fishing rode and a nice 300 WSM BLR Lightweigth, Take Down, Browning level action rifile juste to fit in the fox!!! so I can go hunting and fishing anywhere!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Eric Therrien
    Nicolet, Qc. Ca.
    In preparation.

My kind of people!

I am keen on a .22 Winchester Model 63.

I have one that I tracked down but is very old, and would love to replace my childhood companion with a newer one.

Anyone know of how to get hold of them.

Here in South Africa, you can carry it, but if you get robbed of it and it wasn't in a safe, then they take away ALL your weapons, and as a farmer that leaves me and my wife vulnerable to farm attacks, so I would rather leave them at home and not land where I have to watch out for the big 5.

Of course we don't have bears to contend with like you poor fellows!

Chiefwarthog,

I do like the option you have....to be able to go fishing & hunting at the drop of a hat

If we could just work a nice grouse gun into the picture - we'd have it all.

How many times have I landed to find a nice hunting ground or body of water containing fish immediately next to the 'port!

A little joke on myself.......I used to fly out of a metro reliever airport populated with jets, turbos and a way too frequent gaggle of canada geese....Cooincidentally, one day I was taking my my old Belgian double 16 pheasant gun in the plane to have some tune up work done on it at another site......on that somewhat busy ramp & training crowd I got the reaction.."Now, Dave.....no reason to take it out on the Geese!"

Oh well.

DS

i think things are getting confused . personal protection while camping , in my opinion , nothing beats a 1911 . survival if forced down is another story . i would probably starve to death if gathering food with a .45 was what i had to do . some years ago , i think it was h&r made a o/u .223 and.410 that would have made a good gun to carry in the plane . i really should include some sort of a weapon in my survival gear . if i should survive a forced landing in a remote place, i don't plan on being there long enough to get hungry any way because my plb will get help in a hurry. i think they advertise 45 minutes
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

Protecting yourself in a Survival situation in South Texas. I would be more concerned with Cartel Members trying to rob, or steal my plane on landing at one of the Airport in the Valley, Falfurrias, or Laredo than I would be concerned with survival, and the need for food in a crash landing. I landed at Dallas North after one of my Cross Country, and as I was unpacking the plane the DEA & Plano Police come flying in, they surrounded the plane tha taxied in right after me. Ever since I have referred to small airports like Mesquite Hudson Airport as Mesquite International, it is surprising the amount of nefarious activities goes on in addition to drug running through south Texas airports. I would imagine the same is true for New Mexico, and Arizona.

Besides when my wife helps me to pack for a trip I'll have enough food & water to survive several days.
    Last edited by Paul Z; 01-01-2015 at 05:52 PM.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Well, if there is any sort of concern about safety, invoke the "it's always better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" clause.

I've got 2 knifes a flashlight and a lighter, if that isn't enough to hold me over in a temporary survival mode situation then the U.S. army sure wasted it's time training me,... But if I had a choice I'd take an SPS 30-06 with a Burrus scope please
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Quote Originally Posted by Lion8 View Post
    Well, if there is any sort of concern about safety, invoke the "it's always better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6" clause.
    I completely concur. However, most people that live in Del Norte , North of the Red River, do not understand the issue with the Cartel, & their hit squads. My family settled in Texas, when it was referred to as Tejas. We have had all kind of nice visitors like Pancho Villa commander of the DivisiĆ³n del Norte, and ever since my family settled in Tejas. Survival is more than surviving a crash, and finding something to eat.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas