Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Respiratory Protection - Application Of Epoxy Primer

Default Respiratory Protection - Application Of Epoxy Primer

How do I determine the correct canisters to use in my respirator for spray application of the Poly-Fiber Epoxy Primer? Is there some sort of reference table that specifies the type of canister for certain chemicals or classifications of paint (I couldn't find anything online)? The epoxy primer contains a host of different chemicals (approximately 16). I have been using the canisters that came with my multi-contaminant respirator (they have a green label with a NIOSH 03121E number on them), but I got to wondering if they are providing adequate protection.

Default Re: Respiratory Protection - Application Of Epoxy Primer

Smile Re: Respiratory Protection - Application Of Epoxy Primer

An air fed mask is required I think that's what I have used
    Dave Holl
    Building Kitfox MK7
    Rotax 912ULS

Josh: Regarding the link you posted to the respirator cartridge reference table, I don't see the epoxy primer chemicals listed for any of the various respirator cartridges. Any idea how I should be reading this reference table with regard to application of the epoxy primer?
    Dave: Regarding your reply, it was my understanding that the air fed mask (positive pressure fresh air breathing system) is mandatory for application of aerothane, because it contains deadly cyanates, but I didn't think it was required for application of epoxy primer. Can anyone else shed any light on this?

Any organic vapor cartridge should protect you. I like the p100 combo organic vapour one.

I am currently using the P100 cartridges. So I assume, then, by your reply that you are saying that the chemicals in the epoxy primer fall under the general classification of organic vapor.

Yes, the poly fiber site also mentions to use a charcoal filter for epoxy primers. Charcoal is the main filtering element in organic vapour cartridges. Basically it will stop almost all carbon based vapours.

Josh - thank you for the clarification, and for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Holl View Post
    An air fed mask is required I think that's what I have used
    A positive pressure air supply fed full-face mask is a safe way to go, but is not mandatory. I used a home-made system when I painted my first airplane with polyurethane paint. As Josh said, an organic vapor cartridge with a good, properly fitted mask is good for epoxy. It is also now recognized as being OK with diisocyanates associated with polyurethanes IF you change the cartridges according to the proper schedule. In my opinion it is probably much less expensive to use a good mask & perhaps change the cartridges more frequently than might be necessary, than to invest in a remote air supply system. Much less cumbersome to use also. Don't forget that you need to protect your exposed skin also, as the crap can be absorbed by the body that way too. It's also usually recommended to use a particulate filter on top of the organic vapor cartridges. There's a lot of info about this on the internet.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Dave - I didn't realize that. Must be new information that came out since I attended the Poly-Fiber covering presentation by Jim Miller at AirVenture a couple of years ago. His explanation of the deadly effects of the polyurethane paint, and the absolute necessity to protect yourself properly, frightened me enough that I purchased a Hobby Air fresh air breathing system, which I intend to use when I get to the point of applying the aerothane. I know that the stuff can be absorbed through skin, eyes, etc., so I think the safest and surest protection is a fresh-air breathing system along with a Tyvec suit, and barrier cream / gloves on the hands - completely covered.