Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Oil cooler placement.

Default Oil cooler placement.

For the 912 ULS, where is the oil cooler being installed? My instructions have it being placed in front of the coolant radiator. I don't particularly like that idea. It would seem to me that at the front of the engine behind the air intake just below the propeller would be better. Any thoughts and any pictures on how you have done it?

Dang, we missed a white Christmas by 2 days. Snowing like crazy here this morning.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

Default Re: Oil cooler placement.

I put mine in front of the coolant radiator, just like the book says. No problems with overheating after 155 hours (2 winters and one summer). I installed the optional thermostat and still have to tape over most of the oil cooler in winter to keep it warm enough. I also was concerned at first about putting the cooler in front of the radiator, but have found it works just fine. I am assuming you are using the Kitfox recommended cooler and radiator. If these two components were not sized properly for your particular engine, then your results would vary.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Default Re: Oil cooler placement.

Factory position works here in Arizona in the summertime.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear