Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I found a new 1995 engine

Default I found a new 1995 engine

Any idea what a 1995ul is worth? no hours but completely unknown condition. Let's assume that I will take it to Elko to have the zipper big bore installed.

It probably needs the rockers, soft start, big starter, reduction drive clutch?

I am new to Rotax engines but I am guessing it's only worth $2000 or so given the risk that it might be junk.

Default Re: I found a new 1995 engine

Maybe I'm missing something here but, if this is a zero time engine it should still be somewhat preserved. If it was kept out of the weather your number doesn't seem to be very realistic but it would be a super deal.

Engines in this time period that have 500-1000 hrs. on them are still going for 5-7K or more.

The rotax doesn't have the same problems with rust and corrosion that the lyc and cont engines have.

Yes, please tell us a little more about this engine.

Birddog486 is correct about the value...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

accessories have huge impact on price. Oil tank, radiator, oil cooler and especially exhaust for Kitfox application are very pricey if buying at new prices. Serial # before 4.405.189 will not accept softstart.

Concur! I would just about bet if the owner wanted to advertise it he could get closer to $10K out of then $2K. I would think a person would suspect something 'shady' if it sold for $2K. Heck, you can strip an old engine for parts and get a LOT more than $2k for less than half the parts.
    If that seller is wanting to sell it for $2K and you don't want it, I bet you will get a gazillion private messages from guys wanting to know where it is. I sure am!!! Even if it isn't in running condition I would take it.

I hear you guys but if I start at $19000 for a new 100 hp engine and subtract the overhaul cost of $12000 I found on the web, I am at $7000 before I even start buying a new exhaust. I found 28 service bulletins on a 95 engine. I am pretty sure none of them have been done.

I don't follow how this engine is worth $10000. It's only a 80hp engine. If it doesn't need a complete overhaul, I win. If it does, I lose. I should be in it less than a new engine so $2000 to $3000 puts me at only a couple thousand savings over a new engine with a slipper clutch. I also read on line that changing all the rubber hoses is $3000. A 20 year old engine, regardless of how many hours it has will need new hoses.

Where is my math wrong?

Rotax has an number of hours, and year in service rebuild requirement you may want to look into.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeTim View Post
    I hear you guys but if I start at $19000 for a new 100 hp engine and subtract the overhaul cost of $12000 I found on the web, I am at $7000 before I even start buying a new exhaust. I found 28 service bulletins on a 95 engine. I am pretty sure none of them have been done.

I don't follow how this engine is worth $10000. It's only a 80hp engine. If it doesn't need a complete overhaul, I win. If it does, I lose. I should be in it less than a new engine so $2000 to $3000 puts me at only a couple thousand savings over a new engine with a slipper clutch. I also read on line that changing all the rubber hoses is $3000. A 20 year old engine, regardless of how many hours it has will need new hoses.

Where is my math wrong?
    I don't think anyone is questioning your math,but the engine is worth more than
    2000/3000.00 dollars. The engine on my plane was "new" 1995 vintage still had assy grease on the rockers. It runs great, I will do some of the ad's as I build time. But the rubber looks perfect. Yes it's 80 hp but lots of kit foxes are flying with 80 hp.
    I guess it's up to you what your comfort level is?? Check out ebay and look at what a set of carbs go for! I'm sure if your really worried about getting a bad deal rotax has lots of new 912s. You could always offer it to one of us for 2000.00 I would be happy to take the risk

I like Mike's advice. Get the motor and address issues as they come up. I have an early 80HP with 400 hours replaced for power upgrade to 115hp. One of the O rings was dripping around the push rod tube so I replaced all 8. Upon completion I had 2 spots dripping much worse than the original leak. Spending money and time to replace satisfactory parts defeats the purpose of going with a used, or NOS engine in the first place.
    I sent my functioning carbs to LEAF for rebuild at estimated cost $500. Actual came in at $1131 and they arrived home with 3 out of 4 bad floats. Gas drizzling all over the exhaust when I fired up the engine. So much for using high priced rotax certified labor. Brett wouldn't ever replace the bad floats.
    I'm helping a friend transition to a Model 5 80HP serial 4.153.272 from around 1993 with 95 hours TT. All original, runs great, needs nothing except the choke doesn't fully actuate making cold start difficult. That motor is getting replaced soon and will be for sale at around $7500. The owner has a 100HP purchased new 3 years ago for a project that was wrecked.

Thanks guys. From what I gather here, I should be safe at $5000.

As I said in the op, if I go this route I will be going with a zipper kit to bump the hp and torque up.

I will keep you guys dated on my search...