Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I found a new 1995 engine

Default Re: I found a new 1995 engine

I had all the same worries as you are posting on a plane I purchased a couple of years ago. All my worries were unfounded. The engine had a few hours on it and sat in the hangar for 11 years with nothing done to it. I did put a soft start on it, had to chase down an intermitent ignition (broken wire) issue. but other than that, the engine is as good as new. I recently removed the pistons and installed the 105 HP Zipper kit on this particular engine. It literally looked like new inside. The engine sat in semi humid area (northern MN) in a hangar that was 50 feet from the lake, so basically wet climate.
    I also read and worried about the hose replacement, I took most of them off and they looked like new so I didn't bother replacing them. Just me, I'm a cheapskate!!
    Even at $5000 for it you are stealing it! As mentioned, I have seen mid-time engines selling for $10K. Unless the seller is some old guy that doesn't know what he has and is getting taken advantage of, that price is a steal. Just watch any of the Barnstormer or TAP ads and any engine under $10K is quickly snatched up. A new one (zero hours) even of '95 vintage, priced at this price, would not last long in my opinion. I have been in this game for 30 years and have met my share of shiesters and scheemers, buying and/or selling items, but for a new engine at that price you better move on it before someone else finds it and offers the seller market value. I know several guys would be that guy if they knew where it is. I have 3 friends that have been looking for an older low time 912 for under $10K and they have been searching for nearly a year. When one is found they either find it is already sold, a deposit on it, or they were hoping for a better deal only to lose out. All opinion!!!

I would echo WHunters comments exactly. My engine was used 150 hours. All I did with it was go over the carburetors and make sure hornets weren't calling it home. You mention UL, this 80 hp engine doesn't need all the gizmos that the ULS might need. If you will be going to the Zipper, talk to Hal or Jay and find what you really need. Hoses? My opinion is that many of the Rotax recommendations stem from the Certifieds and maybe some of the LSAs flown by pilots. What I mean by this is guys who do the preflight like in my training days when the checklist said "Open the oil door, check the oil level and look for any frayed or loose wires." - all from peeking in the hinged door on the roof of the cowl.

I replaced my stator on my first UL due to the Rotax Service letter. I learned that Service Letter was issued because the Adel clamps securing the wires from the stator were a bit under sized and a flight school using the certified version of the engine was hosing down the engine compartment on a regular basis with a solvent to clean things up after numerous spills from "Pilots" opening the little door and checking the oil. It was the solvent that caused the softening of the non Tefzel Rotax wire insulation inside the "undersized" Adel clamps.

It sometimes makes me wonder about the quality of the parts Rotax uses. How often do we routinely replace all the - name the system - in our cars?
    But then again, I suspect Lawyers rather than engineers write service letters.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Not to mention every time one of the 914s used in military drones farts a little (after running at full power on a 30 hour mission at 30k feet) they write a service bulleton.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

However....
    Rotax puts a maximum lifetime on its engines. Depending on the engine number 12 to 15 years. So worst case you have three years to burn the hours.

So, I can buy a new engine, put it in dry storage, get it out in 12 years & it's junk? Sure sounds like a "lawyer" rule to me. That 1946 Cub I flew the other day violates that one with its old Continental about 5 1/2 times over!

Larry

I've never heard of a calendar life span on a Rotax 912 engine.

If so, mine is nearing the end of it's second life, looking forward to it's third.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I mentioned something about the life spand issue. Kind of stupid in my opinion, but it's called Planned Obsolesense. They want you to buy a new engine. Flying an SLSA I may be tied to that, Experimentals or ESLA may be up to the A&P or Light Sport Repairman. I'll find out more in January when I go to the LIght Sport Repairman class at Rainbow.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

I bought a KF5 that was started in about 1996, completed but never really run - had a few hours when I got it and had to do the Phase I. In the beginning it was shaking off the right carb on start up or shut down so fortunately not in the air. Finally wound up having the clutch installed in the gear box and it seems to have stopped the carb from going walk-about. You might want to make sure that there is a clutch in the gear box since I don't think it became standard until considerably later.

Kerry S