Quote Originally Posted by jiott View Post
I'll have to disagree with every point you make:
  1. You do not have a successful purge until you have oil pressure AND solid valve lifters.
  2. A gurgle in the tank only means you have pushed all the oil out of the crankcase; it does not mean you have purged all the air out of the oil system.
  3. Air trapped in the oil cooler must get purged out or when the thermostat opens you will get a slug of air into the system-not good. Fortunately the 10% going thru the cooler even with a closed thermostat will purge the air out of the cooler if you give it enough time. Therefore it is somewhat of an issue in purging.
first point. this is not true when just opening a line. the lifters are already solid as you call it. if air is in the line and you crank it, pressure will be none. if you just crank it with the mags off, after a few cranks it should come up on the pressure, if not, let it cool on the starter and try again. once it comes up your done.

point two. If you cracked a line you can turn over the engine with mags off and purge the system. yes this will get the air out. but you need to crank the engine to make sure the oil pressure is up. if not, well you can wear your arms out or crank the engine mags off until the pressure comes up.
Now, you can yes aid this by adding air pressure into the vent while cranking to get your pressure. I've had to do this. not a bad idea. again main thing is oil pressure. like 60psi cold and can go down to 40 when warm.

point three. if you are worried about it. when your engine is new or the system is new, yes you can put some oil in the hoses and cooler. but for cracking a line, the cooler still has oil in it, should not be a problem. I change my oil, no lines come off. the amount of oil is real small. so I don't do it. I remove the old filter and fill the new one. I don't worry about air in the system. the little bit I get is pushed out by just turning the engine over with mags off. generally takes about 3 to 4 seconds of cranking to get THE OIL PRESSURE.