Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Revolutionary new engine

Default Revolutionary new engine

Duke University has built a new engine that could be put in a motorcycle, aircraft, among other applications. Reminds me of some swash plate pumps I encountered years ago. It will be interesting if any manufactures pick up the idea.
    https://autos.yahoo.com/news/worlds-...170021695.html
    Chuck Gruby
    Petal, Kit Fox III Flying

Default Re: Revolutionary new engine

I recall studying the swash-plate design hydraulic pump in the Navy Aviation Hydraulicsman school way back when. Vaguely recall that they made good torque and were really smooth running,
    - Gary
    S7 SuperSport Tri-gear
    w/Rotax 912, Oratex, Dynon

The idea has been around for many yrs in fact there is an engine of that type that's been certified for aircraft, been around since the 50's or 60's never really gets any traction. The engine I'm thinking of is the Dyna-Cam engine. and not so new a design its based on a 1916 Studebaker consept.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axial_engine
    Last edited by Mnflyer; 12-20-2014 at 11:43 AM.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

I don't find any link between Duke University and Duke Engines.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Thanks GB, now that I've seen some of the earlier examples, I do recall some of them. It sure looks like it has a lot of promise. I wonder what's the big holdup on development?
    Chuck Gruby
    Petal, Kit Fox III Flying

Hi Chuck, I was very interested in the Dyna Cam engine in the 70' or 80's when there seemed to be a push to get in to production and on airplanes but it just never seems to get going. The small frontal area and compactness would big a big plus and I would think that it would be a very smooth running engine.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

I spoke with Ralf and John, the founders of Duke engines and they seemed very interested in making this happen. I will see if I can give out their contact information and post it if they don't mind.
    Here is the last reply I received from John about two months ago.
    I will be happy to post again should I hear anything.

Dear Clayton

Thanks for your interest in Duke engines, Ralf has asked me to respond to you.

Duke is an engine technology design company. We are currently in discussion with international partner companies about co development, manufacturing and a go-to-market strategies.

Our aim is to have major partners lined up soon and then to be able to finish go-to-market development, initially of our aircraft engine series.

We are making progress but it is taking longer than we had hoped.

We are probably 2 – 3 years from supply of a developed product once the right co developer is on board.

I've seen SO many new engine designs over the years, many quite promising as well as radical and different, that never came to fruition. It's easy to predict that it will probably be unsuccessful, based on history alone. There are economic and other reasons why this is a fact. I sincerely hope it will succeed and come to market, but don't hold your breath.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

so true,
    still would be quite an engine should it happen.

I agree with Jrevens. This engine will probably never come to be, even though it is a good idea. The letter from Dukes is saying "WE NEED PEOPLE WITH MONEY". I just read the same thing in the latest Kitplanes magazine about the EPS diesel engine, it said something like "the development is moving at the speed of money".

Development is very expensive and the market is so small. If they are aiming at the kit plane market they also need to have more than a few people willing to take a big leap from a known engine like Rotax to an unknown entity.

Early on there are claims of great performance, better economy, low price, low weight, etc. but usually most of these hopes/promises just don't pan out. Think about the hope for $50,000 SLSAs that are now costing 100-250K. From an investors standpoint it is hard to commit to such a potential money hole with little hope of ROI.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016