Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Will a lycoming 0235 fit using the cowl?

Default Will a lycoming 0235 fit using the cowl?

I have my mount set up for the rotax 100 but looking for a better price engine choice. What or will 0235 fit my cowl? What engine mount? I like the rotax 100 hp but I have a hard time on the price. If anyone has a good used rotax, Please let me know. Need to get my fox to Wickenburg this year

Default Re: Will a lycoming 0235 fit using the cowl?

There was a nice used one for sale on this board just a few days ago. $6500...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

The O-235 and IO-240 are wider and will not fit in a rotax cowl. In fact the O-235 requires nose blisters for a little extra clearance vs the IO-240 all smooth cowl.

I initially ordered the O-235 cowl but removed the blisters when I wound up with the IO-240.
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

You are talking about a complete firewall forward package. The Lyc O-233/235 will not fit under the Rotax Cowl. The Lyc is longer and wider. Kitfox sells a wider Lycoming cowl with the blisters to clear the valve covers. As for the mount Kitfox also has a Lycoming mount available. Engine mounts are not interchangeable.

The Lyc uses a different prop bolt circle from the Rotax 75 mm bolt circle. The Lyc is either a sae-1 or sae-2 pattern.

If you are installing from scratch, the installation with a Lycoming should be about the same labor as a Rotax. Cost is really about the same. You'll get a bit more power with the Lycoming, up to 115 hp, but you pay a weight penalty.

No free lunch.

Another consideration that could be a make or break is your wing sweep. On the Rotax installation you set the wing with zero sweep. If you put a heavier engine on then you should have a 1 degree forward sweep on the wings. The sweep of the wing affects your CG envelope could make it very difficult to get inside the CG envelope.

Here is the data I found for the Series 5 & 6 Kitfox

NO WING SWEEP
    Max. Gross Wt.=1550 Lbs.
    Max. Forward CG=11.37"
    Max. Aft CG=16.00"

1 DEGREE FORWARD SWEEP
    Max. Gross Wt.=1550 Lbs.
    Max. Forward CG=9.96"
    Max. Aft CG=14.75"
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Thanks for all the info, I am calling the one for $6500. I guess I will stay with the rotax 100. A little concerned about the 2100 hrs on the engine, but with great compression. I may have to do a rebuild soon, I have been told to expect $5k to $8k on rebuild. May be going down the wrong road