Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: heaters

Default Re: heaters

The next step for me in the preheat process was a way to control the activation from home, so I wouldn't have to drive to the hangar to set the timer or plug in the heat then come back 2 hours later to fly. After some research , I found that most manufactured cell call activated units run $200-300 . Being the true homebuilder (read cheap) that I am , I figured there was a more economical way. So with a bit of further interneting I just finished a homebuilt unit for 60 bucks or so. I found a Romanian Helicopter pilot who builds a cell phone activated (the light on the screen of the cellphone does the activation) relay switch for 25 bucks shipped to my door. I had an old cellphone that I bought a new sim card and 3 mos of prepaid minutes for another 20 bucks ($10 for the sim card and $10 for the 3 mos of mins so about $3 per month for cell service). A trip to lowes for a elec box to put the relay switch and plug in for a few more bucks and I was good to go.I just installed this at the hangar and testing has just begun. If it works OK , i will take photos with more details in a future update. Bruce N199CL

Okay, Bruce: If this project works out, I don't think I'd be alone in requesting a full write up (new thread start) with photos, drawings and the works on the build and operation of this system.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    Okay, Bruce: If this project works out, I don't think I'd be alone in requesting a full write up (new thread start) with photos, drawings and the works on the build and operation of this system.
    OK Larry, so far I am one for one, got up at 5:30 , checked duats, wx looked good, called the preheater , went to the hangar at 8:00 am to a toasty IO-240. Probably gonna go again tomorrow. Bruce
    Last edited by airlina; 12-21-2014 at 05:35 PM.