Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: heaters

Default heaters

Has anyone used EZ heat for their rotax engine? It looks to just adhere to the oil tank , it has a temp controlled thermostat so it can be turned on over night. I was leaning towards this vs. a propane type heater, seems simpler

Thanks
    Patrick

Series 6
    rotax 912-100 hp

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Default Re: heaters

Hi,
    I use the reiff 150 watt, with a timer. I did look at the ez heat but went with the reiff. I definitly wanted the oil to be warmed as well as heating the engine. For heating away from power I made a multifuel stove preheat setup similiar to the alaskan preheater , called the northern companion. Of course an insulated cowl cover and prop /spinner cover helps the preheating .
    Last edited by kmach; 12-14-2014 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Add right name of preheater
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

You might want to have a look around for oil pan heaters. They are a stick on pad that would stick to the bottom of the block in our case. plug them in and leave them on all night. They work very well for warming the oil and metal surfaces.
    Kurt A

Kitfox II,
    Rotax 912,
    1100 gross
    Fixer Upper Project

I've posted photos before, but I use an inexpensive "cube" heater mounted on an old work light stand to blow warm air into the cowling.

Not too usable out in the bush, though...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

If you've got power in your unheated hangar, I think that something like what Av8r3400 did is ideal. I use something similar, but attached a 4" dia. flexible aluminum vent pipe to the face of it & bring that up into the cowl. If you're using pre-heat a lot, I don't like the gas-fired heaters. I've seen engines that are literally peppered with corrosion & pitting that was attributable to gas-fired heaters. Among the products of combustion are water & carbonic acid. Although a weak acid, it does do slow damage to aluminum. All the moisture that condenses on a cold engine is not particularly good, even by itself.
    The nice thing about electric heat is that it is dry, and heating all of the engine (cylinders, oil tank, crankcase, etc.) fairly uniformly is better, IMHO, than a pad glued to the sump or crankcase, and relying on conduction alone to heat the rest of the engine. I just think it's easier on, and better for the engine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Picked up this 'Milkhouse' heater at the farm supply store. Bought some small venting and adapters that I mounted with rivets to the front of the heater.
    I use it for different airplanes. Just stick the tube into the bottom of the cowl and place a cowl blanket over the cowl. I do leave an opening in one of the cowl inlets for the heated air to move through better. I also have a Tanis on the plane with the 912 and it heats up the engine very nicely. If I am out on the ice or away from home, I can bring along my small Honda generator for power.

Also using an electric heater very similar to Keith's.....1500 watts & never had to run it longer than an hour in the hangar to get the ULS warmed up..

Dave S
    St Paul, MN

Quote Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
    Also using an electric heater very similar to Keith's.....1500 watts & never had to run it longer than an hour in the hangar to get the ULS warmed up..

Dave S
    St Paul, MN
    I spoke to Dave about this on the phone already but thought I'd share with everyone!

I went with the milkhouse heater! I stopped at Walmart and got the heater for $20.00 then I was off to Menards to find a heat duct adapter, along with some dryer vent! My total bill was about $47.00 and had it put together and running! After about an hour the engine was toasty warm and fired up on the first try!! This is a very inexpensive and good way to heat the cold engine!!

Thanks to all for your input and thoughts on this!

Patrick
    series 6- trigear
    912 100 hp

1500 watts, an hours, and what kind of ambient temperature was it?

Cheers,

L

Model 2 HKS and a Micro Mong project

I am normally living in Northern MN and if you watch the weather much, my area of the country is usually the coldeset in the nation. Yepper...it's friggin cold. The heater works up here without any problems in temperatures that most guys won't even go out of the house.
    I will normally stop flying when it gets doble digits below zero. It just isn't worth it for me to be out flying in -20 weather. If one goes down in that kind of weather and is unpreparred, life can get very iffy.