Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Prop choice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Prop choice

Ok, all you KF guru's, I have the $64 question. I have three props in my posession that I can put on the uncompleted IV I just purchased. The GSC 3 blade, a 2-blade Warp Drive Taper tip (70"?), and a 3-blade Whirlwind of 70".
    While the Whirlwind is currently on another plane I am thinking of ordering one of the new Whirlwind 75" STOL props for that plane and if I do the 70" will be available for use.
    I think the Whirlwind is the best prop but since it may be a while before I can afford the 75" I will use either the Warp or the GSC.
    Is the Warp Drive a better performing prop than the GSC? My personal experience with this 2-blade Warp was that it had excellent climb and very good cruise numbers but it seemed to be 'harder' on the 912. It also was not nearly as smooth as the 3-blade Whirlwind that replaced it.
    I have read on here both pros and cons to the GSC but I seem to still see alot of them being used so they can't be all that bad.
    I may send the Warp back to the factory and see if it needs balancing. Or just sell it.

Default Re: Prop choice

The factory is currently installing the 3-blade Whirlwind on the SLSAs. Its a beautiful prop using the latest scimitar shape technology.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Do you know if it is the 75" one, Jim?
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

I'm pretty sure its the 70".
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Jim, I totally agree that the Whirlwind is a nice looking prop. As I stated in my original post, I already have one in 70" and it is on my RANS S7. This plane originally had the Warp 2-blade I mentioned, but at higher RPM, there was a buzz/vibration throughout the plane that I was not comfortable with. I researched props and bought the WhirlWind. I looked at the Kiev prop which looks very similar to the Whirlwind. I had read very good reports on the Kiev and was close to buying one but then I read that, occassionally, getting replacement blades could take several weeks. That is something I was not comfortable with.

I think I will try the GSC prop before giving up on it. I do like the look of the wood prop on the Kitfox. Plane itself has a 'vintage' look and the wood prop just seems to fit.

I don't have the money at the moment to order the 75" STOL prop but I am hoping to sell the Warp for enough to offset the cost a bit. I really liked the performance I got from it but I want to go on floats and the blades either need to have the nickle edge installed or new blades purchased.

I bought the Keiv 3 blade from Ted at B&B in Md. and have it on my Rans S7. I like the prop a lot, smooth no vibrations like I had on the 2 blade Sensenich ground adjustable composite prop. I had a drumming effect on the wind screen at 5200 on my rotax 100hp. I think I will try the Whirlwind on my Kitfox SS7 also due to the situation with the blade replacement.