Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: water leak from spider area

Default water leak from spider area

My 912 80 horse is running well with the new mount installed. but … there is glycol leaking from somewhere. The accumulations are 4 or five drips hanging on the muffler box and the highest point with any evidence is on the rubberized pad between the top of the engine and the reservoir itself. That pad is supposed to stop abrasion that could cause a reservoir rupture but I'm thinking I may have one anyway. the reservoir was down about halfway tonight and its been doing that about every 4 hours of operation. I hate the thought of redoing all the water lines but I see a few wet areas around one or more clamps. I" used "Clamp it" type clamps and can't adjust them. I will have to cut them and reinstall new clamps. Anyway, is there a simple test for the reservoir to show a rupture or do I have to disassemble this little fella?

Default Re: water leak from spider area

If you have puddles on the top of the engine is a good (bad) sign that the spider is leaking. I had a hole in mine that needed to be welded this past summer. It does happen.

With just a few drops, I doubt that is the problem though. What about the line from the spider to the overflow bottle?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I hat the radiator hose coming to the top of the Rafiator leaking ever so slightly, Preston at Stick & Rudder tightened the hose clamp a problem is gone.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    My 912 80 horse is running well with the new mount installed. but … there is glycol leaking from somewhere. The accumulations are 4 or five drips hanging on the muffler box and the highest point with any evidence is on the rubberized pad between the top of the engine and the reservoir itself. That pad is supposed to stop abrasion that could cause a reservoir rupture but I'm thinking I may have one anyway. the reservoir was down about halfway tonight and its been doing that about every 4 hours of operation. I hate the thought of redoing all the water lines but I see a few wet areas around one or more clamps. I" used "Clamp it" type clamps and can't adjust them. I will have to cut them and reinstall new clamps. Anyway, is there a simple test for the reservoir to show a rupture or do I have to disassemble this little fella?
    I had the same problem on my series 6, turned out to be the radiator cap was faulty! Put new one on and leak free!!

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Every year I used to have coolant dribbles from hose ends when the temperature dropped . from summer 80 's F to winter 0 F

When I did the 5 year hose replacement , I changed all the static hose clamps , like worm gear ones, to spring clamps .

I have never had a drip again. The spring type clamps apply the same pressure all the time and seem to be not affected by temperature swing.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

I pre heated the engine in my cold hangar. I put a blanket over the uncowled engine and blew hot air on it from a propane heater ducted to blow on the bottom half. It wasn't "hot" per se but I uncapped the expansion tank to check the level and I blew glycol everywhere. Guess the cap isn't leaking. But I flew the plane for an hour and a half and then un cowled it again in the hangar. I"ll look for leaks tomorrow but I'm pretty sure I"ll be reclamping the whole water system.
    It was only one degree out in the sky tonight. My little heater just doesn't do the trick. Electric underwear hunt has begun.

Ok, I flew the plane for a couple hours and kept the temps up. The preflight included inspection of all fluids. No noticeable volume loss but here is a pic of the plane, 4 hours after shutdown. I think I see the main culprit but I'm pretty sure I am replacing most if not all of the clamps with the spring ones if I can find the size for my hoses. Most of them are one inch OD. The water is orange and the oil is black, I can't find either source as a true smoking gun, but no leaks are the desired and Rotax required order.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Smile Re: water leak from spider area

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    Also check your water pump. I had a indication of a slight leak dripping in the same spot. At the time I felt every hose end and found no leaks. I got a flashlight and looked at the water pump weep holes, and saw a drop of water. I called LEAF and talked with the engine man. He said the all water pumps seep a little when cold. When the engine warms up and shaft expands the weep stops. I fretted over it for a couple of days, ordered a set of seals, and a fuel pump, and put them in my tool bag. I flew for a couple of days around Mesquite Texas, and I saw visible no loss of coolant in the overflow bottle. I finally bit the bullet and headed out on my trip. I flew from Mesquite to Homedale Idaho to get my plane converted to a Tail Dragger. After the plane was converted, I picked up Preston and we drove to Homedale. Preston ferried the Plane from Homedalt to Bouse, and I drove back to Boise. The next day we preflightef it and went terrorizing airport runways, after doing about 3 hours of flying we went back to BOI When at boise we were at the Boise airport going over the plane discussing what all needs done different with the Tail Dragger for the preflight. We noticed some coolant on the mounting base of the COM antenna we removed the cowling and we felt all of the hose ends finally isolating it to the main hose on the pilots side going down to the radiator. Preston pulled out his trust leatherman tool, tightened the hose clamp. We looked but that was the only leak we could find. We checked the coolant and it was well above the coolant low mark, I removed the radiator cap and checked it there it was full. We flew the rest of the week an saw no further indications of a leak on preflights. I flew home after getting signed off by Preston in my new Tail Dragger. What an adventure.

I went flying yesterday, and I checked the Coolant. When I left for the Boise trip my fluid was just above the bandit mounting band about 1/2 way from the top of the band to the the full mark. John had told me to have it half way between the low and full marks, that I had too much coolant. The Bandit Band that holds the overflow bottle is at about the middle of the range. When I checked it yesterday, after all of that flying it is now just below the band. I would guess about 60 hours of flying since I found the seep, and now it is where John wanted the coolant.

I still have the gaskets and the water pump for the water pump replacement in my tool bag.

All I can say is fly safe, watch the engine temps.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

And don't over tighten your hose clamps...

If the Hose sheath starts squeezing through the worm sure holes in the Clamp Band you are definitely damaging the hose!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas