Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 582 Gearbox Specs

Default 582 Gearbox Specs

Just wondering if anyone has ideas about what is normal for propeller shaft play or if there are specs somewhere. I have a 582 which was rebuilt about 5 hours ago from a place in Florida albeit 6 years ago. It also has a GSC prop. I've searched the posts and can only find discussion on the play in and out and that it may translate into a perceived slop in another direction. Is there a common method of checking the propeller shaft. Or can someone tell me how much movement at the tip of their prop they get? When I changed the oil there was nothing suspicious on the magnetic plug. Thanks for any input.

Default Re: 582 Gearbox Specs

I would highly recommend talking with Brett at LEAF, click the sponsor link on the left, he is their tech rep. His extension is 154.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I know what you mean about the slop in the gearbox. Mine has the same and at the tip its probably 3/8 play. Oh , did I mention mine is brand new from a 1991 kit I'm just now finishing. I haven't found out much either but from hearing from other folks its normal. Seems kinda lose to me and bugs me. Mines a B box.

Good news....with the help of another person at the airport, determined that the play was between the hub and the prop.... Hadn't gotten to torqueing everything on the prop and I probably jumped the gun a little on fearing something amiss with the gearbox. One thing which contributed to the issue was bringing the plane from a humid state to Colorado at which point the wooden prop lost some moisture.

Thanks for the suggestions and the contact recommendations.
    Last edited by EstesPark; 11-07-2014 at 09:04 PM. Reason: adding a thank you