Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: KF5 912 Carb swap

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Default KF5 912 Carb swap

Hi all,

I have a model 5 with the 912 uls, It has the intake manifolds swapped left to right and the carbs ended up with the control levers and the fuel line connections on the inside , closer to engine. which is, to sugar coat it, less than desirable ! for maintenance .

Has anyone ever swapped the carbs back to have the controls and fuel connections on the outside ?

I am planning on doing that and am wondering if there are any problems that I may of overlooked in my plan.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Default Re: KF5 912 Carb swap

Wasn't the carbs one earlier models swapped to clear the oil tank which sat behind and between them? I think the KF 5 mounts the oil tank on the side of the engine. If those things are true, than there probably wasn't a reason to swap the carbs in the first place on your plane. Jim Chuk

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    Wasn't the carbs one earlier models swapped to clear the oil tank which sat behind and between them? Jim Chuk
    Yep, That is the case on our MK IV

I have reversed the carbs back to have the controls to the outside. There have been no ill effects only positive ones.

The only down side was drilling new holes in the firewall for cable routing and I needed to replace the choke cables for longer ones.

Syncing and adjust carbs is so much easier!!
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Here is a picture of my passenger side carb. Obviously mine are routed on the outside of the carb. Is this what you are talking about?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Paul, on the older model Kitfoxes, the intake manifolds are reversed left to right to make room for the oil tank above and behind the engine. When this is done most of the time the carbs are left on the same manifolds leaving the throttle and enrichener arms on the inside of the assembly.

Before and after shots below.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Thanks all,

Yes, Paul that is what I'm talking about.

The model 5 has the intakes swapped side to side to clear the motor mount and oil tank, there is more room than a model 4 , but not as much as the model 7's with their new engine mount and oil tank on the side.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    C-FOXW

After looking at Av8r3400 's model 4 pictures ( the before pic), I think the model 4 actually had more clearance from engine mount to carb cables than my 5 currently has .

I sure like how the after pic looks , that would be way easy to work on, attach fuel lines, sync carbs .

Just looking at the model 7 pictures , I think that they would be a pleasure to work on , seems to be nice spaces to allow to get at things.

I find on my 5 that there are spots you can get your hand into , but your not able to do do much once its in there!
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    C-FOXW