Welcome to the forum. This is a great resource, especially as you get further into your Kitfox ownership.

I think learning how to fly in a Kitfox, especially an early one, will make you a better pilot as they are a control sensitive and somewhat unstable compared to your average Piper or Cesna. After putting more than 2,000 hours on Kitfoxes and Avids, and flying a bunch of other general aviation aircraft over the years, I personally find the Kitfox a bit harder to fly than many other taildraggers, but it is not the raging monster some claim. However, some Kitfoxes and Avids have had really bad luck when using the Maule tailwheel (as in wrecked) which will make it nearly impossible for ANY pilot to fly, UNLESS it is set up correctly. (I know this from first hand experience - a master flight instructor that specializes in tailwheel put an Avid on its back because of a Maule tailwheel. And this guy knows how to handle tailwheel airplanes)

So if you have a Maule tailwheel on it we should talk before you get into your training in it. That could be the reason for 6 previous owners?

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by KFfan View Post
Hello all. I completed ground school this spring and want to get my SP ticket. I searched ALL summer for an affordable Kitfox to use as a trainer. The closest facility to me with a LSA for training is about 65 miles distant. I don't know when I decided I HAD to have a Kitfox but I did. I finally found a decent one about two weeks ago. It is currently in the warehouse where I work. I want to get to know this Beauty intimately before I get a waiver to use it for my SP training. I've been lurking on this and the Avid forum for some time. I have certainly gleaned a great deal of knowledge from those forums. Thank you all for an education and your thoughts. Lou