Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Rotax 912-914 Mandatory Service Bulletin - Carb Floats!

Default New Rotax 912-914 Mandatory Service Bulletin - Carb Floats!

http://legacy.rotaxowner.com/si_tb_i...sb-912-065.pdf

Wow, every 25 hours or no longer than 60 days, PITA procedure and then if a sinker, you have to replace with a float that may do the same thing! Hope they find a new float that works soon! This will not be fun for long.

Greg

Edit for moderator: May be worth a sticky until solution found - as very many of you guys run these engines.

Default Re: New Rotax 912-914 Mandatory Service Bulletin - Carb Floats!

I just posted this on the RANS site. (yes, I own a RANS S7)

"Of course!!! I just finished installing a new carb rebuild kit last week. Unfortunately I purchased this kit last year from LEAF while at Oshkosh. This is a $500 kit with NEW floats. $200 just for new floats, which in my opinion is totally unwarranted for what they are. Wanna bet that if they are bad I will not get credit for them? I have been having the darnest time trying to get my 912 to run smoothly, thinking it may be a carb issue I disassembled them, cleaned them completely and installed the new kit. Still runs like crap, had to step away from it for a few days due to overload on trying to figure it out. Haven't seen Rotax step up to the plate and accept responsibilty (cost of replacement/repairs) very often.
    While a great majority of Rotax owners are 100% satisfied, I am currently not one of those owners.
    Ok, I'll quit ranting....for now."

Wanna bet that if they are bad I will not get credit for them?
    Seems kind of grey in the bulletin. Says they will cover the cost of parts, but does not specifically say they will cover the cost of the labor. Does specifically state they will not cover the "incidental" related costs.

Also states the procedure has to be completed by a Rotax Distributor or Service Center or a certified technician for Line Level Maintenance.

So the questions would be: Is labor covered at all? And (to clarify) are parts also only covered if the work is performed by the authorized personnel listed?

Could be a very expensive check every 25 hours! Or do you just do it yourself and bite the bullet and buy new floats as deemed necessary - I agree, they are way overpriced from Rotax. They are not much different than floats used in motorcycle carbs and I can't recall paying more than $35 bucks for a set of those!

Greg

Greg,
    Not sure if you are located in an area like me, but the nearest 'Authorized Rotax' place around me is 600+ miles away!!
    I keep threatening myself to get 'certified' but just the travel and lodging to attend the classes would be cost prohibitive. Not enough of these engine up around me to ever recoup the costs.
    Even the young guys up here steer clear of weedeater's(Rotax) in general. If it doesn't start with a 'C' or 'L' and sound like a real airplane engine they want nothing to do with it.
    Keith

Keith,
    Where is Lost USA?
    Eddie
    Flying a series 4 speedster
    Rotax 912uls whirlwind 75”

Keith,

I'm in Denver, but even so - based on my extensive experience with carbureted engines and Denver altitude - I am only a fan of electronic fuel injection at this point. For the record, also only a fan of lower revving direct drive engines and IFA or CS propellers.

Good luck with it,
    Greg

LOL, yes, if I could easily change my old 912 out for one of the newer 912iS engines (for a reasonable cost) I would be all over it!!

Eddie,
    'Lost, USA' is currently northern MN. I put 'Lost' in my original sign up due to military sending us all over the world and I never knew where we were going to be next so I was always 'Lost'. Actually I am here part time and will be headed back to Ft. Meade, Md soon.

Keith,
    I feel your pain. I was a Army yo-yo at one time too.
    Eddie
    Flying a series 4 speedster
    Rotax 912uls whirlwind 75”

I went back to my old square floats. I was also having rough running problems at about 2000 rpms. Now, some of the problem is old engine mounts and tail dragger configuration but, it has helped. Since reinstalling the old square floats, I have had no rough running issues. I think I was lucky when I didn't throw away my old floats. It might take a while for Rotax to get the new ones out. We'll see.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Russ
    Model IV Speedster
    912UL IVO IFA
    RV6A
    Needle, Ball and Airspeed
    Maybe a little GPS

There are 2 Service Bulletins out there, on for UL engines as well. I have a 911 ULS, so I believe it falls into this Sevice Bulletin. I need to check it later today.
    I just read part of the Bulletin, if you have had your carbs worked on you will need to verify the floats. I guess I get to drop the float bowls.

http://legacy.rotaxowner.com/si_tb_i...-912-065ul.pdf.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas