Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanks and oil Question

Default Thanks and oil Question

I had an earlier post about carb issues. Thanks to all for you insight. The best thing I learned about carb syncing is to Patience (hope I spelled that right). Three days ago I finally got N8027Q Airborne!! 2 days ago I Soloed in it and the only thing that got me out of it was night fall! I honestly like tail dragger landings better than tri-gear. No more shimmy damper rattling. It just feel more natural. Currently I am waiting for the weather to break. I am working on ways to seal the doors to try to stay a little warmer.
    Next question? In the summer it gets to a whopping 60*F. Currently we will not see 50*F until next May-ISH. Looking for the pros and the Cons to adding a oil cooler by pass valve. My biggest worry is system failure. Right now I spend 10 minutes on the ground just to get her to 140*F. That's longer than a Huey or Blackhawk!
    For those of you that haven't flown your tail dragger yet, do what A local (long time pilot) told me. Just fly the Dam thing! He was tired of watching me taxi it around! Also, (Same guy) Do your landings in the Grass First!
    Dave
    N8027Q
    Yakutat, Alaska

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Default Re: Thanks and oil Question

Hi,

I use the mocal oil thermostat with the push on hose ends . I have used it for three years and could/ would not go back to not using it!

Most oil thermostats do not completely stop the oil flow when cold, they allow about 10 % flow when completely shut, so if it fails in the shut position there is still oil flow.

We experience temps of + 30 C plus to < -30 C here so the oil thermostat is a must!

Happy flying
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Avidfox,

The oil thermostat is a great thing to have. I have no idea what the potential is for a stuck oil thermostat or what would happen in that failure mode; however, that is a point that I have thought about at least theoretically.

Other options?

Highwing on this list makes a neat oil cooler shutter which is operated from the cockpit much as a person would operate cowl flaps.

The extremely frugal among us opt for a solution known as "500 MPH tape".....that is the sticky aluminum stuff as opposed to the "100 MPH tape" which is duct tape which I don't trust much for this purpose. If the OAT is 30 - 40 degrees F - one strip of the aluminum sticky tape over half the oil cooler works out well. 10 degrees F colder and completely covering the oil cooler does it - in our case at least. We do a fair amount of flying with the OAT at 0 to 10 degrees F, sometimes minus 10 F down this way.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Thanks again,
    I will head over to (True-value) Air Parts (No Napa Air Parts in our village of 580)and pick some up Alum tape! Will give the tape trick a try!
    Will look into the Mo-cal for a permanent fix.
    Thanks,
    Dave

I forgot to mention , I also use a coolant thermostat ( thermobob ) it helps keep the coolant temp up in winter and overall temps up, also provides warmer water for the heater.

I also tape off the oil cooler for the winter with aluminum duct tape, the oil thermostat works for engine warm ups but I notice it does not keep up when cruising at 100 mph, I think it is because the thermostat allows oil flow thru the oil cooler even when fully closed, so the oil gradually cools down below desired temps.

I have a highwing llc shutter but never installed (some assembly required). I dont like the idea of it possibly failing , it would fail to the closed position. I would have it on year round .
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    C-FOXW

Is a thermobob the name? I will google it!
    I just got done taping off half of the oil cooler. It helped but I think I need to cover more of it.
    My windshield fogged over a bit during my flight today. Also, I got to experience the ass end of 27Q do a 270ish on me! Nothing hit the ground but my Pride THANKFULLY! Cross winds can be a B?T??.
    On a bright note I added a piece of fish tank tubing to the leading edge of each of the doors (cut it length wise so it fits over the Lexan. Cut down on a lot of the cold air coming into the cabin. Also I Gorrilla taped the air inlets that are forward of the doors.
    Dave
    Yakutat

Quote Originally Posted by kmach View Post
    Hi,

I use the mocal oil thermostat with the push on hose ends . I have used it for three years and could/ would not go back to not using it!

Most oil thermostats do not completely stop the oil flow when cold, they allow about 10 % flow when completely shut, so if it fails in the shut position there is still oil flow.

We experience temps of + 30 C plus to < -30 C here so the oil thermostat is a must!

Happy flying
    Greetings,

What is a "mocal" oil thermostat?

Skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

Mocal is the brand name of the thermostat
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    C-FOXW

Kitfox sells an oil thermostat. Don't know what brand it is. I used their oil thermostat optional kit; it includes the stat, hoses and fittings.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

if you can preheat , thats the way to go . 20-30 min with the milk house heater and good to go . lots easier to start and easier on the engine .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa