Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: K/F 5 lyc 0-235 or Cont 0-200

Default K/F 5 lyc 0-235 or Cont 0-200

Is there a hands down better choice for a k/f 5? I just learned the Lycoming is a lot heavier but it is 118 hp. I'm a bigger pilot so the extra thrust might come in handy.
    There are two on barnstormers for sale, one of each, just wondering everything else equal, what would the major differences be?
    (I don't need it to be a LSA) thanks for your input

Default Re: K/F 5 lyc 0-235 or Cont 0-200

Either of those engines are fine. The O-200 was used on the C-150 and the C-152 has the O-235. They are a dependable engines.

They both have about 200 hours SMOH, which is a good thing . . . if they got a quality overhaul and have been properly taken care of.

The KF with the Lyc. O-235 will carry about 430# with full fuel, which is still a decent useful load. Yes, you should get better takeoff and climb performance with this engine. What do you want to do with your plane? Do you plan to go into short strips, back country or high altitude? If so more HP would help.

If you need a higher useful load and don't need the extra HP then the O-200 would be fine. The fuel burn will be a little less. I think parts for this engine will be a little less expensive if you ever need them.

As far as value; the KF with the O-235 looks like a better deal with all of the Garmin avionics. The Garmin 430 is a great GPS/NAV/COM. It isn't an IFR plane though; that would require more instruments. A word of caution on the GNS430; they are getting phased out, spare parts are running out. There is also a flat rate rate for any repair on the 430. I don't know how much, but it is around $1000 if you send it in for any repair.

Either of these planes would need a thorough pre buy inspection. IMO if everything is in good condition and working these prices are fair.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

All this is fine, but why would you go to the trouble to spend all that money and still have a plane that drinks fuel and cost more. Why buy a Kitfox? You can buy a Cessna for less than half of a Kitfox. If you buy a Kitfox with a big gas hog engine, It won't be an LSA and it never will be. If you lose your medical, you will have to sell your plane. I'm a 6-4 260# man and I fly behind 2 model 4 speedster's with an 80 and 100 hp rotax with no problem. Buy one with long wings and you will have all the lift you need. I also am building a model 5 I bought new from Skystar and it will have a 912is long wing. If you want a Kitfox, buy a Kitfox. If you want a Cessna, Buy a Cessna. Don't confuse the two.
    Flying a series 4 speedster
    Rotax 912uls whirlwind 75”

Quote Originally Posted by kitfox5v View Post
    All this is fine, but why would you go to the trouble to spend all that money and still have a plane that drinks fuel and cost more. Why buy a Kitfox? You can buy a Cessna for less than half of a Kitfox. If you buy a Kitfox with a big gas hog engine, It won't be an LSA and it never will be. If you lose your medical, you will have to sell your plane. ...
    Some people just have to have a Lycoming or Continental, a "real aircraft engine". I've gotten over that, but used to think that way. I fly behind a Lyc in my other homebuilt, & I love it, but I believe that Rotax is the way to go with the Kitfox for me. To each his own.
    There are many reasons to buy an experimental over a certified factory built machine, not the least of which is the ability to modify it anyway you'd like, to suit your needs or wants.
    Last edited by jrevens; 09-25-2014 at 08:59 AM.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Would my Kitfox be better with a Rotax? I do not know. But I do know with a Continental IO-240 (similar to O-235 in power) it does not fly like or have the visibility of a Cessna.

I believe the Rotax wins on overall weight, and fuel economy comparisons.

I wanted a "real" aircraft engine at the time I built mine. That was before there even was an LSA rule so if I had gone the Rotax path I would still have a 1550 gross weight and be LSA ineligible anyway. I am not sure what I would choose now but I do not regret my choice for my purposes so far.

Buy what you want. For whatever reason you want. I will not confuse you with a Cessna.
    Last edited by N981MS; 09-25-2014 at 01:49 PM.
    Maxwell Duke

Kitfox S6 IO-240 Built it (Flying since 2003)
    Maule M7-235C Sold it (liked it though)
    RV-10 IO-540 Bought it
    Zenith CH-750 Built with 7 friends (DAR Vic Syracuse)

Well, I belong to a flying club and we have a 150, 172, 177, and a Mooney. I'm just thinking some tail wheel would be fun and one of those K/f even has skis. I guess why buy a Cessna when I can rent one? (thanks again John)