Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Anyone tried the electric carb heat option

Default Anyone tried the electric carb heat option

I need carb heat. I heard of the one that is electric and is direct wired to the battery. Has anyone tried it? Will it work on a model IV?

Default Re: Anyone tried the electric carb heat option

Without getting into the debate of weather or not carb heat is really needed, if it is really desired, I would be more prone to use the coolant driven style.

These engines don't make a ton of excess amperage from their small charging circuit. The warm coolant is there "at no charge", so why not use it. If you are worried about the ability to tun it off and on, a simple ball valve could easily be added. Most of the guys (in Canada where it's mandated) just run it all the time.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Talking Re: Anyone tried the electric carb heat option

Just thinking about the damp days I fly out of our ranch here in North idaho. Carb ice is almost a non threat but "almost" is a luxury I can't afford when my first alternate is a river. Not a lot of room in that round cowl but I don't even know what I'm looking for or at. I heard there was no horse power loss from the electric one, what say you on the coolant driven one?

G`day Wheels
    I have used the hot water manifold type on my Vixen 912UL for about 400 hours. I had never flown without them as carb heat is mandated in Canada.
    In the hot summer months I have always had a "hot start" problem and thought it is related to the rather tight cowl on the Vixen. So as another possibility I disconnected the manifolds this summer. I believe the "hot start" situation may have improved slightly BUT I do not see any difference in engine power with the manifolds disconnected.
    The manifolds are a non event regarding operation and maintenance.I have thought about installing small ball valves but have not bothered.
    Bob at Light Engine Service in Salmon Arm can get them for you. I believe they are manufactured in the UK.
    I went with this system after hearing reliability issues with the electric ones.
    Good luck
    Don

Thanks for the tip. I'm looking into that one. Seems like a good idea and I think it is minimaly invasive to my already crowded cowl.

Wheels-

When I got my plane, I had carb heat via the exhaust manifold. After much research I actually eliminated mine and went to the same setup you have- of course as you already know, everyone has their own ideas about what works and what doesn't. I only bring this up because if you are interested I still have all the take off parts from mine you can easily copy if you desire.

Scott

I also have my original carb heat airbox which I removed when the heat shroud over the exhaust pipe started rattling. I offer it to anyone who wants it for the price of shipping.