Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: EGT Sensor

Default EGT Sensor

I have been getting a temporary failure of my left EGT sensor reading occassionally. It is usually soon after startup and after about a minute it reads normally. Does this mean the probe is going bad, or should I just take it out of the exhaust pipe and clean the probe or something? Do these things need periodic cleaning? I imagine they get some carbon buildup on them.

It is a Dynon Skyview system using Dynon supplied EGT probes for my Rotax 912s.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Default Re: EGT Sensor

Just tickling this one in hopes of some replies.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Hi Jim,

As I'm sure you know, EGT probes are commonly thermocouples. They can & do go bad of course, but usually when they fail, they fail. They are very simple devices - simply 2 specific dissimilar metals (the wire leading into them itself) which are welded together at the end, creating a "junction". This hot junction is then encased in a shroud which is the probe itself. If the junction is degraded over time, from heat & oxidation for instance, the probe can have decreased output voltage but probably wouldn't be intermittent in operation. Anything is possible, but it's most likely that you either have a bad connection somewhere or a faulty gauge. I suppose you could have a broken wire under the insulation that is making & breaking contact with heat & vibration. Thermocouple wire is usually stranded & can withstand a reasonable amount of flexing. You might want to look at any areas of the wire run that may be flexing a lot.

Carbon can build up on them, but I believe as a general rule that they usually don't require cleaning. I wish I could be of more help than that.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Can you switch the connection to the probes between left and right to determine if it is a prob or a gauge problem.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

My EGT gauge died at 1051 am. Then it came back to life and lived just like its 2 brothers for about a half hour before going away again. this gauge is located with the now deceased oil pressure gauge in my Westach Quad gauge set up. I am thinking the quad gauge is going out one instrument at a time but before I try a ton of wrong trouble shooting, I'll check all the grounds again and maybe switch the probes around to see what I get. Having just removed and replaced the engine mount disturbed every wire feed I have so I am not surprised to see some weirdness. Just want to isolate the real problem.