Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Antenna wire

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Antenna wire

What does anyone know about LMR-195 Coax cable in place of RG-58 cable? It is advertised as a replacement for RG-58. I am considering using it for my Comm, Transponder and ADS-B antenna cable.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

Default Re: Antenna wire

Stan,

There are many brands of 50ohm braided coax cable. RG58 is the cable connector type - not the cable itself. It's almost generic at this point, so easily confused. Having said that the LMR is made by Times Microwave. The LMR-PVC has a pvc outer jacket that is said to be more flexible than the usual polyethylene jacket. I have zero experience with it though.

Greg

Thank's Greg. I have zero knowledge of cable, wires and electronics. I am on a huge learning curve here. I will take all advice out there.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

rg58 has been used for years and years and probably still works fine . rg400 seems to be a replacement and is double shielded . both not to be confused with the shielded cable used for your tv
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I agree that the RG-400 is the cable of choice for many of us. Not only better (double) shielding, but also high temp insulation around the center conductor (PTFE).
    Last edited by jrevens; 09-18-2014 at 11:52 AM.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

for the person that will probably not have anything to do with coax other than a Kitfox radio and xponder antenna , heading to a radio shop and say make me a cable would be the easiest and cheapest . by the time a person sorts thru all the connectors , crimpers , strippers and types of cable ,it's well worth the price a shop will charge . for a one time or two time use , it's not worth buying all the required stuff to make four or eight crimps
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa