Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best engine for Kitfox Mk2?

Default Re: Best engine for Kitfox Mk2?

One option that you might want to consider is a Rotax 670. It puts out about 92hp and drinks about the same as the 582. Weight gain is about 10 lbs. The 670 performs much better than the 582 by far. Not to mention you use your existing motor mount and cooling system as well as instruments. Rotax Rick advertises all over Barnstormers.com

There's a 670 install thread you might like to see.
    http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/showthread.php?t=5500
    Kitfox IV - 1200 (1994) #1830
    Rotax 912
    Grove Gear, Wheels, Brakes
    22" Desser Tundra Tires

How many hours do you have on your 670, now? Still running good?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

The bird has been down for repairs but NOTHING to do with the 670. I updated the install thread with the details.
    The engine has performed very well. It's just time to address the gremlins elsewhere in the aircraft. She just needed some close attention and love. Today we fired it up and checked everything over. She ran great!
    With more time on the engine I'll be able to provide specific feedback, the fuel burn, climb, temps, all of it. For now though, I would definitely recommend it for anyone running a 582. What needs to be seen is if it's truly a economy contender to the 912 or Jibaru 2200.
    Kitfox IV - 1200 (1994) #1830
    Rotax 912
    Grove Gear, Wheels, Brakes
    22" Desser Tundra Tires

Even though the 912 was the engine I really wanted for my Kitfox I have descided to go with the 582 simply as I could not see how I should be able to meet the weight limits with the 912.

It is a shame really, especially as I have a 912 in good shape and also more or less all the things needed to install a 912 in a Kitfox. Original firewall forward kit for Kitfox with engine mount, exhaust system, oil cooler, airbox, oil reservoir, air filters and so on. Maybe I can find a Kitfox of a later mark without engine some time in the future.

Thanks for the answers.