Well maybe not the best engine for a Kitfox but the best engine from the two choices I got. The engines I got to choose from are either a Rotax 912 80hp or a Rotax 582 grey top. The aircraft does not have an engine at the moment and it would be more or less the same work installing any of them, so that is not much of an issue. I have both engines and most of the firewall forward stuff for both, except for propellers.

I know which one of those that are the “better” engine (the 912), but the question is if that is the best engine for my Kitfox 2? The biggest problem with the 912 is the weight as I see it. After looking around I have also seen that most Kitfox 2 still seems to be equipped with the 582 and there must be some reason for that, I figure.

My Kitfox with a 582 weighted in at 531 lbs (empty), and the maximum legal weight here (empty) is 564 lbs. By the way, the POH for Kitfox 2 states 440 lbs as the empty weight! Mine seems to be a little overweight for some reason. I am a little concern that I will not be able to stay within the 564 lbs limit with a 912 even though I have tried to remove all unnecessary things to lighten it a bit.

Anyway what route do you think I should go, 912 or 582?