Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 912 Carb leak when running

Default Re: 912 Carb leak when running

Well I finished up for the day tinkering. I put the cross tube back on and discovered that she now idles at 1800 without ****ing any fuel.
    I ended up sacrificing some carb sync at the higher end so that I can get her to idle at the lower end.

I cant live with that. We fly at wide open throttle and the engine has to be smooth at our operating rpms. I need Idle for taxi, midrange for slow decent and WOT for take off and cruise. Better chase that gremlin down.
    there will always be an rpm range that makes a rougher vibe or a less than ideal feel, but we have to be smooth at the ranges we operate.
    I'm voting for new rubber mounts, but it could be other stuff, I just know what I had to deal with on an 80 horse 912 in a model IV. 450 hours of ops in two years and then almost two years of maintenance. Long story, maybe a happy ending this week with the new engine mount.

Hang on my engine mounts are ten plus years old and my engine doesn't shake!
    The vibration and shaking is down too carb balance! Get them even and you will have no issue if set correctly! It is only possible with a vacuum balance tool ,trying too guess won't work and you will end up waisting a day scratching your head! The rotax web sight maintenance video explains what is going on! And it's free, It takes me less than half an hour from start too balance the carbs, with the right kit easy !
    If the carbs are in sync, check your prop, that can shake your teeth out if not set correctly! Good luck

I am fallowing the Rotax Maint book and I am using a electronic carb sync (Carbmate) Not guessing! Don't worry I am not giving up on this. I want to make sure she is safe to fly. I am going to look into the Prop too.

She is dialed in at 3500 and not leaking and smooth at 1800. With any luck (weather looks bad for the next week). Soon I will be checking out our Hunting grounds (Tanis Mesa) Already reserved the cabin! Thanks for the Input!