Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best ANR headset for 912 Kitfox?

Default Best ANR headset for 912 Kitfox?

I'm thinking about a new ANR headset and wondered if any 912 Kitfoxers out there had any suggestions based on real life experiences with any particular brands or models? I've been flying some old 20xl lightspeeds for years, but would like to upgrade to something that might work even better / quieter

Default Re: Best ANR headset for 912 Kitfox?

Look up Clarity Aloft, it's not ANR but it has more decibel reduction than the best ANR set on the market.

http://www.clarityaloft.com

It only weighs 1.5 ounces, is super comfortable, and you can wear sunglasses/hat with no issue. Sound quality is great. I am sold on it.

Hey Paul. Nice finally meeting you at the Sea Plane Base AirVenture 2014.

I've spent a fair amount of time under the Bose and they really perform nicely.
    Some folks really love the Lightspeeds though. I tried LightSpeed's newest version at AirVenture and even in their booth got strange noises during the demo that were not the most pleasant. Might have been a bad set. Not sure. Paul Zimmerman was with me and really got along well with Lightspeeds newest model. It worked better with his hearing aids too.
    The Bose were more comfortable in regards to even clamping pressure on the head for me also. Very user friendly too. Bose would be my choice of the two right now.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

One word, Paul: Bose.

I can set you up to try a pair if you want. You'll never look anywhere else.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Lightspeed were my choice ! Best bang for the buck !
    KF IV 912 N212LH

I have the Bose A20 headset I have been using since May, and just got a Lightspeed Zulu PFX headset several weeks ago now.

On the PFX headset I am hearing a low level hiss (white noise) at all times, and when plugged into my Kitfox, also a low level electronic cycling noise on the PFX unit (engine not running, perhaps the voltage regulator?). The Bose unit doesn't have this issue.

The PFX CPU control unit is huge in comparison to the Bose CPU unit. Others have complained about the location of the CPU within the cord (too short) otherwise the cord itself appears to be well made. I am able to tuck the Bose control up nicely overhead in the structure by the wing fuel gauge, while the PFX I am hanging down between the seats as the only place I can find to put it within reach. The short cord has it hanging just about halfway down between the seats from where it plugs in behind me.

Fit and pressure for me is similar once placed on my head.

The PFX unit can play music by Bluetooth, while you have to use a cord with the Bose. Both use Bluetooth for answering/making phone calls, so I am surprised that the Bose headset can't also do music by Bluetooth. So the PFX gets the plus there.

BUT music is flat and lack of bass on the PFX headset when set on "favorites" (custom settings) but sounds normal when switched to "home". But "home" is the basic ANR, and you lose out on the custom mapping of your ears, and other custom settings, etc. Even then the Bose has a slightly richer sound if I had to choose.

I too as other have reported where I had the PFX do some strange unexpected noises (not the "mapping" tones), and one time when it squealed very loudly it left my ears ringing. Didn't like that at all! Otherwise personally I didn't find that one headset was more quiet over the other headset.

Using the Bose set while waiting to receive the PFX set, I flew nearly everyday from May to July, and then we flew four days (26 hours) up the ALCAN, without an issue or any thought of the Bose being on my head, even after one day with a 10.5 hour flight.

I suspect that the low level noise issue on the PFX unit would have worn me out by the end of the day. Emailed Lightspeed giving them feedback, but haven't heard anything back from them.

I put my control for the lightspeed pix up in the wing area by the tank no problem. I have no hiss or ringing other than the tetanus ( ringing in the ears) I've had for the 5 or 6 years. For me they work great.
    Last edited by Paul Z; 09-08-2014 at 06:06 AM.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Esser mentioned the Clarity Aloft brand. I really wanted to try them at AirVenture this year but their booth was always plumb full of prospects so couldn't get the chance. I like the idea of so very little weight on the head and the fact that glasses did not break the ear cushion seal like on all the rest. Must try them soon.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Clarity Aloft headsets work great. I used them under a helmet when I had a AirBorne Classic open cockpit ultralight.

The metal band loops around behind your head and over your ears. They truly seal out the noise as good if not better than ANR sets. No batteries either to die on you.

The only issue, if you want to call it that, is taking them on and off. You have to "roll" down the ear inserts between your fingers, like you do conventional ear plugs, and stick them in. So unlike headphones that quickly slip on and off, it just takes a little more time to work with. Buy extra replacement "pads", as just as with regular earplugs they wear out over time with use. Otherwise I really enjoy using them.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Z View Post
    I put my control for the lightspeed pix up in the wing area by the tank no problem. I have no hiss or ringing other than the tetanus ( ringing in the ears) I've had for the 5 or 6 years. For me they work great.
    There is one bad thing about the Lightspeed PFX, the addition of the microprocessor to the mix. It definately goes through the Batteries fast. I flew from Oshkosh to Mesquite Texas about 9.5 hours of flight. I checked the Battery life remaining when I got home, and it is right at 50%. Whe they said 20 hour battery life they were not joking.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas