Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 912 IS retrofit in Kitfox?

Default 912 IS retrofit in Kitfox?

I am wondering if an engine change in my Kitfox 5 Vixen (currently with a 912 ULS) to the new fuel injected 912 IS could be easily accomplished? I know the fuel injected version costs more however it is less maintenance and uses less fuel.

Info and/or opinions?

Skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

Default Re: 912 IS retrofit in Kitfox?

I'll take a WAG at this (and that's all it is).

Assuming you do all the work and sell the ULS.

New 912is all in, including exhaust, rad, alt, etc. a hair over $28,000 new.

Misc. changes: plumbing, electical, panel (ems support), etc. $1,000 (?).

Sell ULS in good shape, complete, reasonable hours and log, maybe $12,000 (?)

Net plus $17,000

Rebuild carbs (yourself) every year for 10 years $300 x 10 = $3000

New net plus $14,000

Assume all other maintenance is the same.

Assume fuel savings of 1.0 gph (?) at $5.00 a gallon (?)

$14,000/5 = 2,800 hours of flying/10 years or 280 hrs a year to break even over a 10 year span.

Other factors would be:

Increase in value of 912is equipped aircraft over uls - I can't guess at that.

Fuzzy feeling of fuel injected vs carbureted.

I'd do it for the fuzzy factor, if new from scratch, but a swap wouldn't make economical sense to me.

To clarify a bit, I am hoping I could retain my current engine mount, oil cooler, coolant cooler, oil tank, and exhaust system. IF I could keep these items (I already have) and bolt on the engine and make mods to accomodate the unit inside the cowl lines, it would make more sense than completely starting all over FWF.

Skot
    Kitfox Vixen 912 ULS
    N24V at C29

I kinda figured that, but my thought is then you would get less for the uls, being incomplete. So relatively I don't think your net numbers would change much. Savings on the front end would cost you at least as much on the back end sale of the uls.

Mostly opinion and sorry, not direct to the stated question.

Quote Originally Posted by Danzer1 View Post
    Rebuild carbs (yourself) every year for 10 years $300 x 10 = $3000
    First, My experience is with the 912 UL, but I rebuilt my carburetor once in a nine year span averaging 100 hours per year. I should mention that the rebuild was not without issues as the new float needles would spill gas all over the place on return to idle on landing as they refused to perform their proper function. The solution was to go back to the original needles These performed flawlessly for the entire nine years. I saw no wear whatsoever on the rubber tips, no corrosion on the body. Question, is an annual carb rebuild recommended?

I was originally interested in the IS and asked my most trusted "expert" friend about it and his response was, "Why". I couldn't come up with a good answer, at least for me. Personal choices are seldom bad choices but in many instances one option can't be proven over an other.

The main reason for me was that most of my flying was more on the satisfying an addiction sort of thing. Often I just had to go up and get it out of my system before I could concentrate on real life. Pegged airspeeds was not the norm. Then there is our real purpose for the whole airplane thing. I recall when we were on the last leg of returning from Airventure several years ago. Our flight of six Kitfoxes and one Rans were down on the deck making steep banks as we flew over the meandering Humboldt River down stream from Rye Patch Dam. Monitoring the Air to Air we heard a flight of RVs overhead. All they talked about was manifold pressure, airspeed and where are the rest of you guys. It took us twice as long to get home, but I still wonder which of the flights had the most fun.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

If anyone could be interested, there is a french adaptation kit for injection on the 912 and 912S that cost about 3500$ which I heard works quite well an is easy to mount. The guy is a racing car preparator. (tuner). His name is Dieu (God), I'm not shure he speaks english but you can see it there: http://www.ladaero.fr

I agree that changing out the entire eng would not be cost effective.
    The fuel injection would be nice to have for:
    1) The added reliability of eng operation.
    2) Better fuel economy.
    3) Increased power.
    4) Better cold start up
    A retrofit kit for $3500.00 is definitely a good deal in my opinion but I would definitely research the kit thoroughly prior to purchase.
    Kurt A

Kitfox II,
    Rotax 912,
    1100 gross
    Fixer Upper Project

And lower idle for shorter landings

I bought an SDS fuel injection kit for my 914. It is also for the 912. Sweet setup. I'll be installing it on the engine in the next month before I hang it. I'll keep everyone updated.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt.A View Post
    I agree that changing out the entire eng would not be cost effective.
    The fuel injection would be nice to have for:
    1) The added reliability of eng operation.
    2) Better fuel economy.
    3) Increased power.
    4) Better cold start up
    A retrofit kit for $3500.00 is definitely a good deal in my opinion but I would definitely research the kit thoroughly prior to purchase.
    Have anybody tried it in minus Celsius temp for cold start. Is necessary to heat the engine much before cold start or will it start without heating before start? I would like to know it if I have to take with me propane heater for winter flying.