Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trailering a KF long distance

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default trailering a KF long distance

This has probably been asked & answered before but I can't find a thread. I may have to move a KF across the continent & don't have the time to fly it so I'm considering hauling it. Have any of you done this before? I'm concerned about leaving the wings on, unsupported (folded) & would be tempted to remove them altogether to remove stress from the frame & bolts. Also, the engine mounts aren't designed to bear that kind of abuse, I'm told, so that the engine should have additional support, apparently. Not sure how I would do that. Any recommendations?
    Thank you for your input.
    Carl

Default Re: trailering a KF long distance

Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Thnx Paul - good info

Carl, I'd offer to ferry it for you just for the adventure but the F A and the A requires a commercial ticket. Having flown my Kitfox from Texas to Oshkosh 4 times, I don't see how trailering would be quicker.
    Pete
    Leander, TX
    Model III SN 1000
    Grove

Carl,
    I bought mine out of Warner Robbins GA, and hired an AWESOME team to trailer it to MN, as I did not have the time and luxury either to get it home. PM me for the info. Not only was he professional and courteous, he also incorporated a ball hitch mount to relieve stress on the empennage, and custom support poles to brace the folded wings. PM me for his info...
    Denny

Quote Originally Posted by Peteohms View Post
    Carl, I'd offer to ferry it for you just for the adventure but...
    Really? You can't fly someone else's plane across the country even if it's not for money?

What approx. area are you going? I just finished a trailer for mine with proper rear end supports etc....
    being retired I have lots of time to do menial things

Trenton Ont
    Gary
    Kitfox 4 1200
    Eastern Ontario
    Canada

I just got back home after picking up a Kitfox 4 in Texas. 1400 miles. Here is my trailer and the support I used on the back of the plane. Had to take the tailwheel off cause the angle iron supports were to short with the 8" wheel, but it was no problem. I took off the main wheels cause my trailer is to narrow for the grove gear, as it was made for standard gear width. Plane came though just fine. If I remember right, the was some discussion earlier in this topic about resting on the tailwheel. I would recommend you do it my way. Jim Chuk

PS thanks again for your help Pete!
    Attached Images Attached Images

What are the thoughts on having the plane sitting in a grounded position vs having it level while towing it to avoid the down pressure on the wings? I agree on using the wing braces for the front but built mine so it sat in a level position to avoid what I perceived would be pressure on the wings while they are slanted down towards the front of the trailer?
    I see yours are slanted down towards the front of the trailer. any issues with that type of positioning?
    Gary
    Kitfox 4 1200
    Eastern Ontario
    Canada

I would agree that closer to level would be better, but it didn't seem to be a problem the way it was. The worst is when semis pass you and when they get about 200' ahead of you their slipstream rocks you sideways back and forth quite a bit. I usually drove about 60 MPH and after a while sometimes 65 in light traffic and smooth roads. Jim Chuk